PDA

View Full Version : Carved, burned and painted

Bob Rotche
12-16-2012, 4:38 PM
This is part of my effort to expand my horizons a bit. Wood is cherry, about 6" wide by 5" tall. Carving is obviously influenced by John Jordan. Further textured with woodburner and then painted with acrylics using dry brush technique I learned from a class I took with Dixie Biggs. As always, honest C+C greatly appreciated.

David DeCristoforo
12-16-2012, 5:01 PM
Woah! Taking it up a notch or two, Bob? The JJ influence is unmistakable but this is a fine looking piece of work. Form is spot on and the combination of carving, texturing and painting makes it look like something you might pick from your garden and fix for dinner. Great looking piece!

Steve Schlumpf
12-16-2012, 5:04 PM
WOW! Talk about organic! Love the rich color, the texture and the carving! Also like how you left the interior the natural color! VERY nice work Bob!

Nate Davey
12-16-2012, 5:08 PM
Wow beautiful job, Bob. The nature cherry really pops against the painted exterior.

Greg Just
12-16-2012, 5:20 PM
Very nice - I like everything about it.

Scott Hackler
12-16-2012, 5:32 PM
Really nice Bob. Steve stole my thunder because my first thought was "organic".

Doug W Swanson
12-16-2012, 6:26 PM
Wow, that's a pretty piece! Love the texture....

Ken Fitzgerald
12-16-2012, 6:55 PM
Very organic.....looks like a giant seed pod. Nicely done Sir!

BILL DONAHUE
12-16-2012, 7:01 PM
Man, you're on a fast track with this one. That's not only spectacular but the speed and direction you're moving in is impressive. Fantastic work!

jwjerry w kowalski
12-16-2012, 7:08 PM
That's beautiful, wonderful detail and perfect form.

Doug Herzberg
12-16-2012, 7:45 PM
Bob, I keep coming back to this. I think what makes the piece is your paint job. I get that it was a lot of work, a lot of detail and that it's really well done, but if you hadn't finished it the way you did, it wouldn't have made the impression it did. Not to say it wouldn't have been impressive. Good job. Art.

Kathy Marshall
12-16-2012, 8:45 PM
Just a beautiful piece Bob! Form, carving, texturing and finish all come together beautifully!

Ronald Campbell
12-16-2012, 8:56 PM
You were a great student and quick at the learning. Nice piece

Ken Glass
12-16-2012, 9:22 PM
Bob,
What a great piece. Oh, how I wish I could carve. I have to echo what's been said about organic, and to me, it looks as though there is a beautiful flower about ready to emerge from it. Well done.

Mike Cruz
12-16-2012, 9:36 PM
I think this might be a record for the use of the word "wow" in a tread... That is simply, amazing, Bob...wow.

charlie knighton
12-16-2012, 10:14 PM
very nice piece, lot of time in that one, Bob

Bernie Weishapl
12-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Really a beauty Bob.

Michelle Rich
12-17-2012, 5:51 AM
spectacular!

Russell Eaton
12-17-2012, 6:49 AM
Bob that is a incredible piece. Well done sir!

Bob Rotche
12-17-2012, 7:36 AM
Thanks so much for all the kind words. I really had fun doing this one and hope to explore the style more in the future. I'm pleased with how the painting came out as I don't have much experience in that area but its actually much easier than it looks. First have to texture the piece and paint the whole thing black. Then pick a series of shades of color and starting with the darkest, brush over the texture but with a fairly dry brush so it doesn't fully cover the grooves, leaving some black exposed. Then come in with the next lighter color and do the same thing but leaving some of the black as well as the darker shade of color and continue on like this until it looks "right". On this one, I started out with black and 2 shades of green and it looked pretty good but seemed a bit flat. Thought I better come in with a lighter shade to punch it up a bit though definitely thought I was at high risk of making it worse. No guts, no glory so went for it and it then seemed a bit too bright/yellow. Went back with the last darker shade and very lightly went over it which toned it down nicely. Then went back with the darkest shade of green and hit the 5 grooves to try to give it some depth. A lot of trial and error but in the end I was pleased.

Tony De Masi
12-17-2012, 9:37 AM
You should be very pleased with this piece Bob. I'm pretty sure it took more patience than I have or could ever try to muster. My hats' off to you for a really stunning piece....Notice I refrained from using the "W" word?

Thom Sturgill
12-17-2012, 10:37 AM
Very nice Bob. Definitely shows Dixie's influence as well as JJ's. The combination of influences and your skill produced a spectacular result.