PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts on piercing... a question, really.

David DeCristoforo
12-16-2012, 3:04 PM
Since I started turning, I have seen many examples of pierced work. Some of them are spectacular, some less so. But most of them command a certain level of respect simply for the enormous level of patience and, in most cases, skill that goes into them. And yet, some of this work leaves me wondering what the maker was thinking. No… not so much thinking as feeling. With some pieces, it's apparent. The piercing has an obvious purpose.
The work of makers like Graeme McIntyre, Gordon Pembridge, Bin Pho and others has a very specific intent. Some artists like Richard Kennedy employ a more random pattern but use this within the confines of a specific geometric pattern or design. And then there is the totally random piercing exemplified (in a most impressive manner to be sure) by Scott Hackler's latest posting. Of course, there are many, many variations on these basic concepts. Ian Outshoorn's "Pohutukawa Flames", Malcolm Zander's "Essence of Lace", Ed Kelle's "I will always protect you and watch over you…" are good examples. Pascal Oudet uses sandblasting techniques to create "pierced" pieces in a completely different way.

These differing approaches are akin to the differences between representational, interpretive and abstract painting. Each is a result of the intent of the artist. I'm not at all sure I would ever find the patience needed for work of this nature and for the same reason I was never much of a carver. Part of the reason is that I was never all that good at drawing and if you can't draw it, you can't carve it or pierce it or paint it.

As one who has yet to attempt such work, I am interested in hearing from those who have ventured into this territory. This is kind of a "Gwen Ifil" question… "What were they thinking…?"

Doug Herzberg
12-16-2012, 7:12 PM
I didn't really get piercing until I saw a Bin Pho DVD. After that, I started noticing the work people here are doing. Scott's recent piece really impressed me, too. Not so recently, others have posted some fine work.

Bernini did a number of portrait bust commissions, mostly in marble. These and some of his better known statuary, like Apollo and Daphne, are in places more air than stone: the lace collars and hair on the busts, and the stems and leaves sprouting from Daphne as she changes to escape from Apollo. I would think someone with talent could find inspiration in Bernini's work.

Alas, I don't have the patience, even if I could develop the skill with time.