PDA

View Full Version : I finally took the plunge... Festool TS 75

Mike Cutler
12-16-2012, 12:49 PM
A little gloat and some first impressions of the Festool TS 75 EQ.
Here is the obligatory pic to prove it actually happened.

So my first impressions were somewhat less than stellar.
Firstly the rear tilt mechanism bolt had come loose sometime during shipping, and lodged in the tilt mechanism slot. I had to get the bolt out of the slot so that the blade could be tilted, which was like working a chinese puzzle. Should this ever happen to anyone, stand the saw on end, grab the bolt head with needle nose pliers, move the shaft away from the slot and rotate the tilt mechanism, sort of like opening a book, and then the bolt can be pushed back through the correct openings.
Next I had to align the 90 degree memory screws. Not terribly difficult, pretty much intuitive actually, but there isn't much in the manual on how to do it. I actually found an old TS 55 PDF on the web that detailed how to do it, other than it's set at the factory and can be adjusted by authorized repair technicians.
These were both extremely minor issues.
I set the saw up with a 48 tooth blade, as I know will be making cabinets with it very soon.I still have the 36 tooth blade that came installed, and will get a rip specific blade for future use.
Once set up though, the saw is flawless. It really is a nice tool.
I was leery that the rail would actually stay in place with no clamps, but it really does. This will definitely speed things up when cutting plywood. I cut some maple ply, and the edges were very clean, both sides. Much better than my Makita. I'm looking forward to not having to tape cut lines.
I won't retire my Makita and EZ Rails just yet. I still like the setup, but my Makita is as screamer.

I chose the TS 75 over the TS 55 because I do a good amount of work on thicker stock. My house was built in 1919 and all of my studs and joists are true 2x4's and 2x6's. They really are 2" thick, so any work I do involves having to make my own lumber. I have a sawmill a few miles away so I can source rough cut 2x hemlock and spruce, but it still needs to be trimmed. I also have a lot of thicker hardwood stock for projects.
Here is my previous saw for doing this;

Compared to the Milwaukee, the weight of the TS 75 isn't an issue for me.;) That's a heavy saw.

ray hampton
12-16-2012, 2:43 PM
this member deserve a thank you for this post

Ted Calver
12-16-2012, 5:32 PM
Thanks Mike. I've been contemplating one of these, but can't choose between the two models. I think the 75 is right for what I do too.

Clint Baxter
12-16-2012, 7:15 PM
Thanks Mike. I've been contemplating one of these, but can't choose between the two models. I think the 75 is right for what I do too.

Have both of them and prefer to use the 55 for the majority I do. If I'm breaking down multiple sheet goods to the same dimensions, I'll use the 75 for the power and the depth of cut. They're both superb saws and I'd hate to have to do without either of them.

Clint

Paul Incognito
12-16-2012, 7:25 PM
I cheaped out when I got mine and got the 55. I work with a lot of thick lumber and wish I had the 75.
Maybe I need to do like Clint, and have both?
Paul

Mike Cutler
12-16-2012, 7:52 PM

I got a tell you Ted, I went back and forth between the TS 55 and the TS 75. I don't think a person could be displeased with either, but it was that Milwaukee worm drive of mine that tipped it.
I made my own base for the Milwaukee quite awhile back. EZ didn't even offer a base plate for a worm drive yet when I made it, and it's been on that home made base ever since.
The depth of cut on an EZ rail for the Makita isn't enough to rip a standard 2x. It ends up about an 1/8" shy. The Milwaukee is deep enough to rip through a 2x with plenty of gullet showing, but man is it messy. It throws debris everywhere.
I spent this past summer ripping 2x from the borg, and rough cut 2x's to level out our kitchen floor and rebuild the porch. I was also ripping 6/4, 8/4 and 2" thick padauk lumber for the kitchen center island. All part of a kitchen remodel project.
That padauk dust and debris was unbelievable, and I was working outside with it, and had a big high velocity barn fan blowing behind me. I still have clothes, that have a magenta tone to them now from the combination of dust and sweat from working with padauk, and my sinuses, OMG!!!, I am an idiot.:o
My wife tried to get me to buy the TS 75 this past summer when she saw my clothes, and the amount of nasal congestion it was causing, but I was like, "No, it's only this project and I'll get through it. I don't need to buy another tool." Dumb, huh...
The next phase of the kitchen involves making the cabinet fronts. Which will require ripping 2" thick cherry for the stiles, and I still have one, or ,two carcases to make. I'm really, really, hoping the dust collection on the Festool is everything folks say it is. I just don't want to put up with that dust again. My wife doesn't want to put up with me putting up with the dust again, and struggling with the saw.She watched me struggle with a worn out PC 8529 this past summer, and made me buy a Festool OF 2200 that afternoon.
It was an interesting conversation in Woodcraft this past weekend.:eek: I think those guys are going to stop talking to me and talk straight to her.

So for me it came down to the following;
Ability to safely break down Maple cabinet ply.
"line rip" heavy 8/4+ stock to get it to a manageable dimension, to then run through the shop machines.
Dust collection while doing the above.
I was going to have buy a different saw for the EZ rails anyway. I wasn't completely happy with either saw this past summer. They did what i needed to them to do, but it took a lot of effort.

Matt Meiser
12-16-2012, 8:48 PM
The TS55 does have a bit more power. I had a guy visit my shop who does commercial interiors and he said he has had problems with a TS55 after being run all day. And by all day he meant they often had a guy doing nothing but using the TS55 to cut sheet after sheet after sheet of 3/4" ply all day long. I'd say thats pretty much a torture test. He said they tried a TS75 and the extra power reduced the heat buildup.

Mike, if you are considering parallel guides, check out the new parallel guides from Seneca Woodworking before buying the Festool ones. They did a really nice job and they are lighter, less money and solve some usability issues I found with the Festool ones. Even the Festool parallel guides and an MFT took my sheet goods operations to a new level of efficiency on my most recent project.

Ted Calver
12-16-2012, 9:10 PM
.... "line rip" heavy 8/4+ stock to get it to a manageable dimension...
Thanks Mike. I've got a four foot stack of rough cut 8/4 cherry this will work for instead of trying to wrestle them through the table saw. That, and cutting the ends of thick slab tables tips the scales to the TS75 for me.

Brad Swanson
12-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Mike, if you are considering parallel guides, check out the new parallel guides from Seneca Woodworking before buying the Festool ones. They did a really nice job and they are lighter, less money and solve some usability issues I found with the Festool ones. Even the Festool parallel guides and an MFT took my sheet goods operations to a new level of efficiency on my most recent project.

Matt,
Regarding the Seneca Woodworking parallel guides, how does one incorporate the use of the rulers included on the Incra T-track when trying to measure things up? From the pictures on the Seneca Woodworking website the numbers on the rulers decrease the further you set the stops from the rail, which to me is counter-intuitive to what they should read. Otherwise, I'm quite interested. Thanks very much.

Brad

Matt Meiser
12-17-2012, 12:02 PM
You can insert the tracks the other way, then the numbers read up. I didn't even realize that they showed them that way in the photos.

You do need to buy additional scales from incra to account for the ~7" extra the rail and coupler adds. They are $2 each from Incremental Tools plus a few bucks shipping. Woodpecker has them too.