PDA

View Full Version : Old Delta Rockwell Lathe

Dan Masshardt
12-15-2012, 4:12 PM
I bought this old lathe for $100. I it all appears and good shape and runs good. It came with some accessories as well.

Does anybody know much about this model? What should I check / maintain on it? I haven't pulled it apart but I'm thinking it might be worth replacing the bearings if they are reasonably found. Looks like a newer drive belt on it.

I love the cast iron and wood stand. And the big tool rest.

Thnaks!247978247979247977

Dave Mcintire
12-15-2012, 4:37 PM
Its a decent machine for what it is. Better than the imported junk today. Its a little on the light weight side so I wouldn,t plan on doing any tree trunks on it, but you can have a lot of fun with it. I don,t think the stand is original, most of the 46-111 mosels that i have seen had a sheet metal stand. The one you got is probaby better. Thats a good score for $100 bucks, the accessories are worth it alone.
I shouldn,t require any routine maintenance that i am aware of, just lots of use!

Jerry Marcantel
12-15-2012, 5:39 PM
I don't know what the bearings are for your lathe, but when you're going to replace them, go to your nearest bearing store, instead of getting them from a someone that supplies Rockwell parts. I got my replacement bearings for $9 each from a bearing house...... Jerry (in Tucson)

Biff Johnson
12-15-2012, 7:22 PM
I've got almost the same lathe and that is the original base. I added cinderblocks down there to cut down on vibration. It's been a great lathe and definitely a step up from my Shopsmith lathe. Envious of the tool rest!

David DeCristoforo
12-15-2012, 7:35 PM
You scored big time for a hundred bucks. The lathe looks to be all original and the extra banjo and long tool rest are rare. These were built in the 70's before Delta/Rockwell started "out sourcing" so it's still "All American" iron. A great medium duty lathe. As long as you can deal with the lack of "technology" like electronic speed controls, braking, etc, this lathe will beat the pants off any "midi" lathe made today.

Stephen Cherry
12-15-2012, 7:54 PM
Check out what the long tool rest and banjo go for on fleabay. I think that you could unload those to get your purchase price back, and then some. (I'd keep them though)

Curt Fuller
12-15-2012, 9:19 PM
You scored big time for a hundred bucks. The lathe looks to be all original and the extra banjo and long tool rest are rare. These were built in the 70's before Delta/Rockwell started "out sourcing" so it's still "All American" iron. A great medium duty lathe. As long as you can deal with the lack of "technology" like electronic speed controls, braking, etc, this lathe will beat the pants off any "midi" lathe made today.

Ditto!!!!!

Bob Bergstrom
12-15-2012, 9:25 PM
The banjo sells on EBay for over $100. The long tool rest is almost as much. Great score on a good medium duty lathe. Just as double D said. Enjoy!!

Dan Masshardt
12-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Thanks a lot guys. I really appriciate the feedback. I'm really excited to start turning. Now I need to find some tools to get started.

Dan Masshardt
12-16-2012, 4:05 PM
Also, is there a chuck that will work with this lathe available? Or is it an incompatible size?

thanks,

dan

David DeCristoforo
12-16-2012, 4:15 PM
Any chuck with a 1" X 8TPI thread or with an adaptor for that size spindle will work. It's a very common size.