PDA

View Full Version : My "Wood Gloat" is home

Donny Lawson
12-15-2012, 1:58 PM
This is what I've been working on trying to get home for the past few days. The owner said he had the walnut given away for firewood but I talked him into giving it to me instead. It's straight and beautiful. I also picked up 2 loads of Box Elder. This is all of it. Now I need to work on cutting it up. I have a nice 20" crotch piece of Flame Box Elder. My walnut is cut in 4ft lengths.

Al Wasser
12-15-2012, 2:12 PM
Now the work starts as you process it, anchorseal it, etc and try to waste the minimum. You should wind up with some nice turnings.

Roger Chandler
12-15-2012, 3:03 PM
Nice stuff, Donny......looks like some nice flame in the box elder and the walnut is nice as well. You have a great resource there......should be able to make it pay off!

Steve Schlumpf
12-15-2012, 3:32 PM
Wow - that was a lot of work just loading and unloading all that wood! Nice haul and sure is some pretty stuff! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Dave Fritz
12-15-2012, 4:50 PM
Lots of work there.

If you want square spindle blanks you can find a person with a band sawmill and have them mill it. I did that with some four foot walnut logs and now have 109 3 inch by 3 inch by 24 inch sticks anchor sealed in the shed drying.

Helps cut down on some of your own prep for bowl blanks if you have use for spindle stock.

Just a thought.

Dave F.

Peter Blair
12-15-2012, 6:18 PM
Great gloat Donny. Tell me how do you manage to lift those rather heavy looking piece into and out of the trailer?

Greg Bender
12-15-2012, 8:06 PM
Donnie,
how do you run across so much of the good stuff? That is one heck of a haul, should make alot of beautiful turnings.
Greg

Donny Lawson
12-15-2012, 9:23 PM
Greg, People in the city where I work cut trees all the time. This is not a drop in the bucket of what I could bring home. I could bring home a truck load every day of something but it gets old looking at so much wood. I do look for nice figure or designs in the wood and that I bring home. The rest goes to be turned into mulch.

Peter, Where I work we have big tractors with a clam on the bucket and as long as I bring my trailor into work it can be loaded. I use my little Kabota and a chain to unload it.

I wonder if it would sell if it were cut up into blocks?

Bernie Weishapl
12-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Great gloat Donny. That ought to keep you turning for a day or two.

Mike Cruz
12-15-2012, 11:27 PM
Great gloat, haul, and save! Now for all the real work... And don't forget pics!

brian watts
12-16-2012, 3:41 AM
WOW donny. you got your work cut out for you