PDA

View Full Version : Shop Upgrades (w/gloat)

JayStPeter
04-25-2005, 11:56 PM
I've had occasion for a couple shop upgrades recently.

1. The gloat showed up at my door today after work.

2. The gloat installed. Took all of 25 minutes. Haven't put it to the test yet, just some test runs with some scrap.

3. I couldn't find some things, so I decided it was time to clean the shop. Now, this turned into a psychotic cleaning episode. Every tool, nut, bolt, piece of hardware had to have a home and be put there. All I had for my small clamps was a little rack next to the DC closet. Some small clamps and c-clamps were laying around, so I built two more little racks to put under the one.

4. While building the racks, I noticed a little pile of MDF next to the bandsaw. That was my little pile of fences for the miter gauge. So, I made a nicer one. Made one just like it for the disc sander. Nothing fancy, but at least it slides to give support closer to the blade/disc when angled.

5. After reading some of the threads about basement shops, I wanted to see what the real temperature and humidity are in mine. Bought this little thing and hung up out of the way on my speaker shelf (right next to lumber storage).

My psychosis isn't over yet. I need to build a scrap bin and eventually a plywood rack.

Jay

Alan Tolchinsky
04-26-2005, 12:10 AM
Hey Jay, Nice gloats there. That new cutter head looks really nice and I hear they cut great. Let us know your experiece please. I have to get one of those temp/humidity things. All I know is my basement shop is usually pretty cozy all year around. And I never get any rust on my cast iron even though I have a feeling the humidity is pretty high. Where did you get the new cutter head? Alan

Alan Turner
04-26-2005, 4:25 AM
Jay,
Is that the Byrd head? If so, let us know how you like it.

Jim Becker
04-26-2005, 9:21 AM
Ah..nice cutter head!!! SMooooooooooth!!! 'Expect a full report from ya! ;)

Jeff Sudmeier
04-26-2005, 9:27 AM
Jay, very nice gloats there! The cutterhead looks really sweet. It is on my list!

Glen Blanchard
04-26-2005, 10:14 AM
Hi Jay. The new cutter head sure is "purdy". Is it for a 6" jointer? Do they even make those things for 6" jointers? If so, where can I check on a price?

JayStPeter
04-26-2005, 10:36 AM
Yes, it's a byrd cutterhead in my old Grizzly 1018. So far, it seems pretty good. Real smooth cuts on some scrap walnut (not much of a test). Best of all, no more knife adjustments. It's also real quiet. I have a feeling I'm going to want a planer with one of these in it also.
I have some real gnarly Ash that I can test it with. Have yet to find a way to tame the tearout in this bargain bin batch I have. But, the next project should be the true test. I plan to get some birdseye maple.

Alan,
The temp/humidity hasn't changed much since Saturday. High 60s with 50% humidity. I don't have a rust problem either. I was just curious, so I picked up that thing last trip to Lowes. I plan on getting another for upstairs so I can see what the min/max humidity up there is also. I need to get decor approval for that one though. I don't think the gray and chrome is gonna pass muster.

Jay

JayStPeter
04-26-2005, 10:46 AM
Hi Jay. The new cutter head sure is "purdy". Is it for a 6" jointer? Do they even make those things for 6" jointers? If so, where can I check on a price?

It's an 8". They do make them for 6"ers as well. You can see them at byrdtool.com. I bought mine from Sunhill machinery. They are on sale there. Including shipping, I paid $37 more for the cutterhead than the jointer itself (which I bought used) :rolleyes: .

Jay

Dan Forman
04-26-2005, 3:51 PM
Jay--Looks like you've been busy! From what I've heard, you will be pleased with that cutter. Thanks for the reminder on the humidity thingy, will have to look for that.

Dan