PDA

View Full Version : three blades, three chipbreakers, one plane.

bridger berdel
12-14-2012, 10:02 PM
today I hung a door. for reasons I won't go into here I knew I'd need to do some heavy planing, so I brought three cutters set up with chipbreakers for a #5 plane. one with a heavy camber(use a short chipbreaker for that one), one with a little camber and one sharpened straight acrosswith the chipbreaker set close. this setup worked so well I'm thinking of a way to make a travel case for multiple blade/chipbreaker sets. just a little fiddling with the depth setting and lateral adjustment, plus a turn or two of the lever cap screw is all you need to completely change the performance of your plane from near-scrub to near-smoother.

Bridger

george wilson
12-14-2012, 10:07 PM
It was quite usual for a woodworker to have several blades for a plane in the old days. He would sharpen them in the evening,and didn't have to stop to resharpen them during the day. He was paid by the piece,and struggled to make ends meet,using every effort to increase output.

Jim Koepke
12-15-2012, 2:42 PM
this setup worked so well I'm thinking of a way to make a travel case for multiple blade/chipbreaker sets.

Most of my spare blades are kept in a two layer box. It isn't made so much for travel as the top layer is divided into four sections that hold my dowel sized auger bits.

If you have a tool tote you may consider building a section into it to hold extra blades securely during travel.

If you do not have a tool tote, it is a good way to keep tools organized when you need to carry them to a job site.

jtk