PDA

View Full Version : My first 2 pens

Timothy Mann
12-14-2012, 7:57 PM
The very first one is cocobolo, the second is cherry. My photo tent still has not shown up so my photos are still bad I know. I have 4 kits left of the package of 6 that I ordered from PSI, will work on the other 4 tomorrow. I have to say this was a lot of fun and a way to work on a project with very fast results. I did gain a whole new appreciation for pen turners though, it is fairly easy to turn a pen, but it does take talent to make a good looking one, I know mine leave a lot to be desired.

Bernie Weishapl
12-14-2012, 8:42 PM
Well for your first they look mighty fine to me. They can be pretty additive.

Doug W Swanson
12-14-2012, 11:31 PM
Your pens look way better than my first!

Pens are addictive but I think the hardest part of turning pens is getting the CA finish just right. I really think a good finish will make plain wood look great. Another thing to think about is using blanks that have more figure to them. Granted you don't want to ruin a good blank by making stupid mistakes (don't ask me how I know this) but that will also take your pens to another level!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-14-2012, 11:38 PM
Excellent first pins! Much better than my first pens.

Mike Cruz
12-15-2012, 12:04 AM
Timothy, first of all, take it easy on yourself. These are great first efforts. Nothing to be ashamed of. Doug's avice is spot on. Stunning wood and a crisp finish are paramount.

My advice about pens is to reall try to focus on symmetry. In your first pic, the shape of the two halves doesn't "match". Oh, I'm not calling you out on something that I haven't done before, believe me. But a pen, unless it is obviously supposed to be different, in my oppinion, ought to flow...usually meaning symmetry. For example, in your first pen, if the top half looked just like the bottom half, it would show much better. But it is much straighter, withoug the nice flowing curve of the bottom half. And it looks like, on the second pen, you did the same, but not quite as pronounced.

In both cases, a stunning wood (burl, spalting, ambrosia, odd grain, exotic that isn't monochromatic) would make a world of difference. I would suggest using wood that will stand out. Pen blanks just aren't that expensive (usually at about $1 each...up to $4 for some really really cool stuff), and that is still less than most, if not all, of you pen kits.

Again, keep turning! You're doing great. Watch out, pen ARE, as Doug said...adicting.

Steve Schlumpf
12-15-2012, 12:36 AM
I haven't turned a pen yet, so can't offer any constructive advice but I know what I like and both of these pens look really good to me! Nice work! Looking forward to seeing some more real soon!

Jim Burr
12-15-2012, 8:45 AM
Great Job Timothy! As a thought, when you start out keep the wood simple. Sometimes blanks can be one of a kind, rare or exceptional wood or acrylic, If you are working on your skills and blow up a cool blank, you may stop turning all together!!;):D You are well on the road to a very deep and dark part of turning...keep up the good work!!

Timothy Mann
12-15-2012, 8:32 PM
Your pens look way better than my first!

Pens are addictive but I think the hardest part of turning pens is getting the CA finish just right. I really think a good finish will make plain wood look great. Another thing to think about is using blanks that have more figure to them. Granted you don't want to ruin a good blank by making stupid mistakes (don't ask me how I know this) but that will also take your pens to another level!

I have found your statement about getting the CA finish just right to be spot on. What is the secret to a good CA finish? I sanded through all grits carefully ending at 600 which is the finest I have at the moment. I put just a drop or 2 of fresh CA on a paper towel and to be honest it looked horrible. I repeated this process several times sanding between coats. After about the 6th coat I called it good but was still not overly happy with how it came out.

Jim Burr
12-15-2012, 9:26 PM
I put just a drop or 2 of fresh CA on a paper towel and to be honest it looked horrible. I repeated this process several times sanding between coats. After about the 6th coat I called it good but was still not overly happy with how it came out.

You need about 20 drops...Don't skimp on CA for the finish. Truth be told, there are cool ways to do a CA and 2-5 drops ain't gonna cut it. IAP is the best forum on the net and a pen haven. Education there is free