PDA

View Full Version : Laguna's new REVO 10 x 16 Mini Lathe

Clarence Martin
12-14-2012, 3:46 PM
Is this Lathe worth the money ? Good and bad points on this lathe ???

Looks like it is on sale.

Steve Kubien
12-14-2012, 10:27 PM
I know nothing about it (didn't know it existed) but after the customer service nightmares people had over Laguna's 18/47 lathe, I will never touch ANY of their products.

Steven Hsieh
12-31-2012, 11:16 AM
Steve

Im curious what was the problem?

Larry Marley
12-31-2012, 11:53 AM
I got this lathe about a month ago and love it. Fit and finish is very good. I used it to make my 2012 ornaments.

Dan Hintz
12-31-2012, 2:46 PM
Laguna seems to be very hit or miss... some people get great machines, and others have nothing but problem after problem. Say what you will about <insert company name here>, anytime I see a lot of both good and bad reviews, I think quality assurance issues. They may have a good product, but if they can't kick out a consistent product, I try not to be the test rat.

Gary Muto
01-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Is this Lathe worth the money ? Good and bad points on this lathe ???

Looks like it is on sale.

I bought one. I was sold on the outboard turning ability up to 16". I'm not sure if the lathe is up to it but the bed ways are a little thicker than the comparable Jet and Rikon lathes that I saw. Anyway, it works great but I've only been turning for a couple of weeks so what do I know.

When I got the lathe there was no manual and the minimum speed was higher than they stated on the box. After one call to Laguna I got a PDF of the manual and instructions on how to adjust the electronic speed control.

I don't know much about Laguna but it appears that most of the customer service issues were from a few years ago. By contrast, I really liked the Delta Midi lathe but it was about twice as much and recently people have had issues getting service parts on even new tools like their 18" Drill Press.

Bottom Line, I would recommend the lathe but I am a beginner.

Dan Hintz
01-07-2013, 11:35 AM
I don't know much about Laguna but it appears that most of the customer service issues were from a few years ago.
There was a pretty heated debate just this past year, but the thread was removed from public view.

Gary Muto
01-07-2013, 1:19 PM
There was a pretty heated debate just this past year, but the thread was removed from public view.

I guess I missed the debate. I just know that with the Delta reorganization that nothing is certain there and it's currently difficult to get parts. I read that WMH Tool group does not support service parts very well, but I don't know how true that is. So who does it leave? I know first hand that Rikon has good service. Seems like Grizzly does.

Well like I said Laguna took care of me. I got the PDF for the manual within minutes. It took Tech support about a day since they had to contact someone in Asia. Once they sent the response I even got a follow up phone call to be sure I understood what to do.

I'm not trying to debate but people (myself included) seem to be more vocal about dissatisfaction than satisfaction so here is one good one for Laguna. Let's hope they keep it up.

Dan Hintz
01-07-2013, 1:54 PM
I'm not trying to debate but people (myself included) seem to be more vocal about dissatisfaction than satisfaction so here is one good one for Laguna.
Typically, yes. We expect quality, so when we get what we expect, there's little incentive to tell others... when we feel like we're getting screwed, we tell it to the world.