PDA

View Full Version : Wine Glasses: Any pics with wood base ?

Clarence Martin
12-14-2012, 12:57 PM
Anyone got some pics or a video of wine glasses that they have made with a wood base ? Thought I would give the old lathe a try with some wine glasses that have a wood base.

Thanks,

jared herbert
12-14-2012, 1:24 PM
I have made several but dont have any pictures right now. ONe thing to watch at least with the glass ware that I had from craft supplies is that the stem on the glass was not the same length on all of them so the hole in the wood base was not deep enought to allow the glass to seat all the way down on a couple so I will have to make some more bases with deeper holes. the other thing is that it is easy to get the stem too thin and the outside of the wood stem and the drilled hole on the inside become one. the thing is I liked to get the wood stem as thin as I could to get a light look to the whole thing. jared

Jim Burr
12-14-2012, 2:22 PM
I just shipped out a set Clarence and only have personal pic's. A solution to the receiver shape can be fixed with a drillpress or a MT2 Jacobs chuck on your tailstock. I use a 3/4" cove bit for a router, bore that down and then change to 1/2" cove for the bottom. I get my stuff from CSUSA, but I know of people that buy regular stemware from various locations, cut the stem leaving a 1/4 to 3/8 nib and anchor that into the wood stem by boring a hole. If I can find the pic's, I'll e-mail them but I won't post them on this forum.

John King
12-17-2012, 12:10 PM
I just shipped out a set Clarence and only have personal pic's. A solution to the receiver shape can be fixed with a drillpress or a MT2 Jacobs chuck on your tailstock. I use a 3/4" cove bit for a router, bore that down and then change to 1/2" cove for the bottom. I get my stuff from CSUSA, but I know of people that buy regular stemware from various locations, cut the stem leaving a 1/4 to 3/8 nib and anchor that into the wood stem by boring a hole. If I can find the pic's, I'll e-mail them but I won't post them on this forum.

Jim - Why not post them on this forum? - John