PDA

View Full Version : sushi tray finish

jared herbert
12-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Just yesterday a young lady stopped for business stuff in my shop and she saw some rectangular trays that I had been making on the lathe. So she asked me to make a couple for gifts for her family to be used for sushi, along with the chop sticks. I was pondering what finish to use, considering food use, I have walnut oil and a can of behlens salad bowl finish [which I have not used any of yet] and trying to decide what to use. My first impulse is to just use the walnut oil considering the need to clean etc but have no experience at all with the behlens finish. Would it be more appropriate? The trays will be made from walnut. any input from anyone would be appreciated. Thanks Jared ps I prefer my fish cooked before I eat it.

Scott Hackler
12-14-2012, 11:43 AM
The walnut oil of just regular ole mineral oil will work good. Make sure to explain to the customer that they can only be hand washed to re-apply some mineral oil every so often.

I could be wrong but I could have sworn that walnut (the wood) is a no-no for food contact vessels.

Mmmmm sushi! That sounds good for lunch!

Prashun Patel
12-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Personally, I would use mineral oil. Walnut and other nut oils have subtle flavors to them that IMHO are not appropriate for delicate foods like sushi. For foods with oil in them - like salads, it's a different story. But sushi is appreciated for its purity. Now, if you're a big soy sauce dipper, it's irrelevant. But MO is the cleanest tasting oil to me.

Scott, walnut wood does contain juglone. But I believe once finished, it's fine. This ain't no scientific study, but I have plenty of walnut bowls and nary a complaint from anyone dining from them.

Noah Barfield
12-14-2012, 1:28 PM
Sushi boxes and plates are traditionally lacquered.

Noah

jared herbert
12-14-2012, 6:00 PM
If you use lacquer wouldnt the moisture go right through it and discolor it or turn white or something? That is what lacquer does in other applications I have used it in. Jared

Harry Robinette
12-14-2012, 7:37 PM
Not sure BUT I believe the lacquering done in the orient is quite different then we do.
Might look it up just to see.

Bruce Pratt
12-14-2012, 7:52 PM
A Japanese lacquer finish is a whole different beast from what we do in the West. See this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkgCW-z-31w)on youtube.