PDA

View Full Version : Spokeshaves: Wooden with brass wear strip vs. razor edge style

Darren Brewster
12-14-2012, 10:56 AM
I have a question about spokeshaves of a couple types. What are the differences between using a wooden bodied spokeshave with a brass wear strip, such as a Dave's Shaves No. 1 Standard flatsole shave (http://www.ncworkshops.com/products.html), versus a Razor Shave, such as Lie-Nielsen's No. 81 Razor Shave (http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1520)? They both seem kind of similar. One has a brass wear strip, one has a brass... front thingy (technical term) that seems to fill a similar function. The razor shave has a 2" wide cutter, the standard wooden bodied shaves are a little wider. Any advantages or disadvantages to either? Would you use one type for some work, and the other type for other work? Any other info about them? The Lie-Nielsen is a pretty competitive price, not tons more than a spokeshave kit.

Also, how is the blade attached on the Lie-Nielsen? Is it just countersunk screws that go right through the blade into the body?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Chris Griggs
12-14-2012, 11:29 AM
One difference is how you adjust the depth of cut. On something like the LN the blade is stationary and you adjust the depth of cut by raising and lowering the brass toe piece. On kinds with the brass wear-strip the the toe is stationary and you raise and lower the blade using the adjustment screw. I really can't tell you if there is a difference in use but on the LN one advantage is that when you put the blade back after re honing the depth of cut will be right where you had it, since the blade has one setting and you don't need to adjust the toe to take it in and out. The LV LA shave I have has the same type of adjustment as the LN and I do like that feature that style quite a bit.

george wilson
12-14-2012, 11:48 AM
i consider the LV as the most functional shave. Its blade can be positioned to do straight OR curved work. The Dave's shaves are certainly very pretty. For aesthetics I can't help liking them,and they would do a fine job. The LV is a bit more versatile,though.