PDA

View Full Version : Eucalyptus burl hollow form.

Thom Sturgill
12-14-2012, 10:06 AM
I turned this last month after having the burl in my shop several months. The blank was a fathers day gift from the LOML. It was cracking badly, so i decided to turn it even knowing how bad Euc moves. I left it thick, thinking that I could somehow remount it a re-turn it in six months or so, but the movement is so pronounced and interesting that I now think I will leave it as is.
Finish is lacquer, not sure what the finial is. Inlay is crushed malachite in epoxy. The form is 5 1/2" dia and just under 9" with the finial which I think is one of my best so far. While I dis straighten on of the images, the tilt is present in the piece due to its movement.

C & C welcome.

Bernie Weishapl
12-14-2012, 10:09 AM
I agree Thom to leave as is. I like it. Nicely done.

Steve Schlumpf
12-14-2012, 10:13 AM
You sure brought that wood to life! Great color combo using the malachite as a filler! Nice elements in the finial!

David DeCristoforo
12-14-2012, 6:55 PM
This is a great form. The finial overpowers it a bit but the form itself is sweet!

Thom Sturgill
12-14-2012, 8:53 PM
This is a great form. The finial overpowers it a bit but the form itself is sweet!

I thought it was a bit much myself, but I tried to mirror the basic form in the finial. It probably would be better without that element.

Doug W Swanson
12-14-2012, 11:17 PM
I agree about the finial. Maybe a little smaller one might look better. Still a beautiful piece!