PDA

View Full Version : Another new chuck - NOVA this time

Thom Sturgill
12-14-2012, 9:14 AM
Teknatool has announced their new chuck with quick change jaws.
http://www.teknatool.com/products/chucks/Infinity/Infinity%20chuck%20&%20key_Dec12Web2.jpg
Called the NOVA Infinity it is supposed to retail for $360.
I guess quick change is the way of the future, but I sure don't want to change out the chucks I own and was just waiting until after the New Years to buy a rebuilt! Even with an inexpensive adapter, (no word on whether there will be one, but if the magic is in the key way that the jaws mount to, they might be replacable.) the jaws will not be cheap.

No relationship to NOVA, just saw this posted on FB.

Bernie Weishapl
12-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Alot cheaper than the other one we saw lately. Not sure it would be worth changing out all the chucks I have. Don't have to change jaws anyway. lol

Steve Schlumpf
12-14-2012, 10:39 AM
I am expecting that once all these new style chucks hit the market for a while... the prices will drop somewhat. At the moment, I can not justify paying that kind of money for something just because it is a new technology.

Scott Hackler
12-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Ouch! For that price I can darn near buy 3 reconditioned SuperNova2's and the adaptors! Not for me I'm afraid.

John Keeton
12-14-2012, 11:08 AM
I have had this discussion with Bob Henrickson, creeker and fellow club member - mostly regarding the Easy Wood chuck using similar technology, but $500. It isn't just about not having to change jaws. The missing factor in these discussions is simply having multiple chucks available to be in use at the same time. I often have 2-3 chucks in use, with wood chucked in them, waiting for the next process in a multiple piece turning. I suppose I could "work around" that process, but having multiple chucks (for nearly the same money as Scott noted) means I don't have to.

Steve Peterson
12-14-2012, 12:35 PM
Ouch! For that price I can darn near buy 3 reconditioned SuperNova2's and the adaptors! Not for me I'm afraid.

I was thinking the same thing. I already have 3 SN2's and I paid about $360 total for them. One stays loaded with the standard 50mm jaws. This is the perfect size for small bowls. Another one has cole jaws, although I rarely use it. The last one usually has pin jaws. This is the only one that I change the jaws on and that is a rare event.

If I was just starting out, then I might consider the quick change model.

Steve

Thom Sturgill
12-14-2012, 1:00 PM
Here's a question for those of you who are marketing minded. It would seem to me, that for a new turner just equipping him or herself with chucks, that with these new setups most would buy fewer chuck bodies and more jaw sets. (I think JK is the outlier here). That would require that the manufacturer/distributer needs to increase the margin on both jaw sets and chucks to offset the lower sales on chuck bodies. Unless their are features other features that I have not seen, I am not sure that the economies argue FOR the new systems either for the manufacturer or the user. On the other hand, this might just be a move to cover increases that would happen anyway, and if they convince anyone to upgrade that is just gravy.

Michael Stafford
12-14-2012, 1:24 PM
I prefer to have chucks loaded with all the different jaws that I use. I have 10 chucks of which I bought 4 new and the rest used. Some times I have 4 or 5 chucks all loaded with the same jaws. When I am turning like items I frequently leave pieces chucked up to equilibrate to the humidity or so that I can perform like operations one right after another. I probably have as much money invested in jaw sets as I do in chucks.

I love the idea of a quick change chuck but it is unlikely that I will buy one because of the initial expense and from what I have seen the optional jaw sets are also more expensive.

Only time will tell how successful this type of innovation will be.

Jamie Donaldson
12-14-2012, 3:02 PM
There is always a market for guys who place value on "newer, bigger and better" than the Jones guy in the hood. I played with the Easy Wood and have no use for just another chuck, but the idea of an evolution in chuck development is appealing. Too much Scottish ancestry for me to pay these prices, just to say I have one!

Alan Trout
12-14-2012, 4:36 PM
I pretty much echo John's comments on the subject. I use multiple chucks for different items and projects, It would not matter if the jaws were easy to change when you need more chucks. I had this discussion with my local woodcraft manager today. He thinks they will sell well. I think they will sell, not sure how well, but wish them luck.

Alan

charlie knighton
12-14-2012, 8:36 PM
man o man.....went back to my tool spreadsheet...checked when i bought my stronghold....... 10/2005 for $259
i have 3 different jaw sets for it, and i got bought some extra screws from oneway onetime...... turn between centers, stronghold chuck, 6 inch jet faceplate, several of Don's smaller faceplates.....cannot see the need for anything else for my type of turning ......my stuff not antique yet but hope to still be turning when it does.....ho ho ho

Bob Rotche
12-15-2012, 8:57 AM
Where do you guys buy reconditioned chucks?

Bob Bergstrom
12-15-2012, 9:31 AM
Next in the progression of quick chage jaws would be of a consumable nature. Made of a composite plastic that would not dull tools. Perhaps ones that could be custom turned to certain shapes. Done with or ruined, they can be discarded with minimal cost. Maybe jaws that would offset the turning. I would think the key to marketing these chucks would have to be the ability to hold turnings in special jaws that the other manufacter don't and be easily changed.

John Keeton
12-15-2012, 9:53 AM
Where do you guys buy reconditioned chucks?Bob, try this - http://www.novatoolsusa.com/RECONDITIONED-SuperNOVA2-Wood-Turning-Chuck-23055-R.htm

(http://www.novatoolsusa.com/RECONDITIONED-SuperNOVA2-Wood-Turning-Chuck-23055-R.htm)

Michael Stafford
12-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Next in the progression of quick chage jaws would be of a consumable nature. Made of a composite plastic that would not dull tools. Perhaps ones that could be custom turned to certain shapes. Done with or ruined, they can be discarded with minimal cost. Maybe jaws that would offset the turning. I would think the key to marketing these chucks would have to be the ability to hold turnings in special jaws that the other manufacter don't and be easily changed.

Bob, Teknatool aka Nova already manufactures jaws such as you describe. They call them "soft jaws" and can be turned to a custom profile although I have found that turning them to a custom profile is not as easy as it seems. I prefer to make my own hardwood jaws and turn them to a profile as needed.

Link to "Soft Jaws"- http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chuck_Accessories/Soft%20jaw/Softjaw.htm

John Sanders
12-15-2012, 11:17 AM
$500.00 . . . crieky!!! Hey, once mounted I do not remove until I need to reverse. . . thus I need many chucks . . many. The wife would kill me if I bought a $500.00 one when I could have bought 2 or even three. Yeah changing jaws is a pain but I am not a production turner and this I do need to learn patience and planning . . .what better time than when you are turning screw with an allen wrench . . lol.

An exercise in Futility is better than no exercise at all.

Jerry Marcantel
12-15-2012, 11:46 AM
The 500 dollar chuck by EWT is made in the US, I believe.... For some, that's an incentive. I would like to join that group, but my perpetual state of poverty prevents that. Also, I have other priorities.. Knap ins, rock runs and other related activities... Jerry (in Tucson)

Greg Just
12-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Where do you guys buy reconditioned chucks?

Bob:

You can buy reconditioned SN2's directly from Tekntool.In the past they have been $100 plus the insert. I have a new one and a reconditioned one and can't tell the difference.

Ryan Baker
12-15-2012, 8:22 PM
I agree with the guys in the "more chucks" camp. Quick change jaws don't appeal to me much (particularly at higher cost). I can change jaws pretty quickly now (I do it often) -- quick change won't make a significant difference there. What matters more is having enough chucks to support one's needs. And when it comes to changing jaws, swapping to a different chuck woth different jaws is still faster than swapping quick change jaws. I currently have 6 chucks (3 SN2, 1 new Titan, 2 Stronghold), which cover my needs pretty well. I just added one more because i've been needing one for a while. I may add more at some point, though right now I don't feel any need for more.

I'm sure there is a market for these quick-change chucks. Eventually the prices will come down, and it meets some peoples' needs just fine. But I don't see them removing the need for multiple chucks for some people.

From the picture, it looks like it would be possible to retrofit a SN2 into this new design by replacing the slides and swapping to the new jaws. That probably wouldn't end up being cost effective though.

Anyway, I think I will let some other people test these things out for a while first. I sure wouldn't want my chuck jaws quick releasing at the wrong time ... like when you get a vibration/catch in the middle of coring a 16" blank...

robert baccus
12-15-2012, 11:00 PM
I bought the first nova when introduced and 2 more nova 2's and have been very happy to date. To dodge the multiple mountings ect I had 2 sets of dovetail rings made by a rural machinist. One for 2" jaws and One for the larger jaws. (10 & 4). This allows me to leave them on wet blanks to dry, replaces many faceplates, and allows changing pieces in seconds when finishing. I often have 6 pieces in the laq. finishing process and just rotate them. Thought I had invented this but craft supplies brought them out six months later. The screw holes match which speeds changing if necessary. These screwed to a thick tough glueblock allows very heavy, long vases to be turned with CA glue. Also a nova single screw will hold just as well. No pretty wood wasted sure. I really hate to change jaws being lazy and all.