PDA

View Full Version : Oak HF with beads and bark

Eric Gourieux
12-13-2012, 10:39 PM
I turned this oak HF wet to finish (well, at least sanded) today. It was a crotch piece, and you can see some of the bark from the crotch at the rim. So far, there has been very little cracking. As you can see, beading is not yet in my bag of tricks. I used a combination of beading tool and spindle gouge. The size and spacing of the beads varies quite a bit. I assume this will come with more practice. The beading tool was difficult to use and get the spacing/direction correct on the curved shoulder of the HF.

Any suggestions on a finish? I was considering shellac, then WTF or lacquer. Got some new AO and could use that as well.

C & C welcome

8"w x 9.5" h

Roger Chandler
12-13-2012, 10:42 PM
That is going to be pretty when finished.........pretty nice beading Eric.....does not look as if it is your first attempt.......not bad at all!

Richard Coers
12-13-2012, 11:20 PM
Are you asking about putting on the finish now, or when it has dried out?

Eric Gourieux
12-13-2012, 11:29 PM
Thanks, Roger.

Richard, that's a good question. My intent was to go ahead and finish it. I ran out of gas today, as this stuff is REALLY HARD and it beat me up. For now, it's bagged on the lathe, and I will turn the bottom tomorrow after work. After that, I could let it dry and then finish, or finish it immediately. I don't have any particular plans for this piece, so I could go either way. Are you suggesting that one finish is better/worse for wet/dry pieces?

Doug Herzberg
12-14-2012, 7:18 AM
That's really nice, Eric. I've been working on some end grain pieces and have ended up with some jar shaped forms, but none with a round belly like this (no beads either). I hope you don't mind if I try to copy this.

I don't know the answer to the finish question, but I would lean toward an oil first and shellac later. WTF is not my go to finish, partly because I haven't mastered it yet, but also because it doesn't highlight the grain, which this piece seems to have in abundance. Might be a nice top coat, though after the shellac or the oil.

Michelle Rich
12-14-2012, 8:42 AM
I am a complete weenie, when finishing bark inclusions, beads, etc. So many finishes get gobbed up in them. i'd weenie-out & use oil.

Bernie Weishapl
12-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Really nice looking piece Eric. When I turn green to finish I soak in Antique Oil. It seems to keep the movement down.

Steve Schlumpf
12-14-2012, 10:23 AM
I am really liking this so far! Of all the choices you offered for finishes - I would go with the AO so that it highlights the rays in the Oak. The AO should soak right into the wood even if it is somewhat green. I am not so confident that WTF would work well on green wood - seeing as it is water - based and also it is a surface finish - so it would not bring out the grain as well as AO.

Eric Gourieux
12-14-2012, 9:04 PM
Doug, of course you may "copy" this. Thanks for asking, though. I don't claim to "own" any of the forms I turn. Only occasionally do I have much of a plan when I start turning. This was a case in point. Because of the crotch and bark on the top, I centered that part and just started turning. I was hoping to highlight that seam more, but this is what I came up with.

Thanks for the finishing suggestions. I agree with the oil/AO approach. I'll start there and see how it turns out

Doug W Swanson
12-14-2012, 11:19 PM
I'm sure that will look great with whatever you use!

Mike Cruz
12-15-2012, 12:13 AM
Eric, I really like this form. I'm also a big fan of the beading. And the placement of said beads is great! Yeah, the beads aren't "perfect", but honestly, I didn't notice that until you mentioned it... And in hind sight, I like that they aren't perfect on this piece. This thing screams "old" right off the shelf. And the non perfect beads just adds to that. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.