PDA

View Full Version : What a hoot! Damp Wood Society gathering

Roger Chandler
12-13-2012, 8:46 PM
Well, this was the day for the gathering of the DAMP Wood Society. What a hoot this group of guys are! We had a day full of turning, sharing, eating burgers and going to the gallery to see Tony's work on display [that will have to come in another post.......had to take those pics with my cell phone, cause my digital got left back at the shop!]

What a surprise to me that Baxter Smith showed up .....all the way from Delaware, and with a DAMP Wood Society turning smock on to boot! Mike Cruz was also there.....he trucked in Tony's new air compressor. Peter Elliot and Mark Zimmerman and of course our gracious host, the man......Tony DeMasi.....and yours truly.

It will take several posts to get just one pic of the interesting things going on.......so I will try to share them as I go.......

First one ......a show & tell table that was really WoW!!! 247839247840
this was not even all that ended up on the table........when it finally filled up, there were some exceptionally well done pieces...........huge bowls and platters........these guys really get some wood that most of us would envy! Of course, that little American Beauty there was another drool producer.....Tony had to wipe it off several times! :D

The second is a pic of the group before we called it a day. 247841
The next one is Baxter in his oh so fashionable 3M air respirator turning a nice walnut bowl.247842

Next is Tony's wall for rough-outs....quite nice stuff! 247843

I was the first one up on the AM. Beauty to rough out a 3 sided bowl with pedestal from hard maple......it
went flying on me once! :eek:
Up next is Tony's shop companion ......what a sweet natured dog....Ziva 247845

and here is Peter and Tony discussing the finer points of pepper mill turning! 247846
What a great way for friends to spend a day around a common interest and create memories that will warm our hearts for years to come, when we reflect on this time! More to share..........

Steve Schlumpf
12-13-2012, 8:55 PM
Definitely looks like you guys had fun! Looking forward to seeing more photos!!

Roger Chandler
12-13-2012, 8:59 PM
Here is a pic of Mike preparing some pen blanks.......funny thing, though........all day Mike tried to get to actually make a pen, but for some reason, he could never get to the mini lathe........we won't say why........:D We also got serenated by Mike with greatest Christmas hits volume one with songs like "Rockin' around the Christmas Tree" "I'll have a blue-oh-oue-ooh Christmas without you" ....of course sung "Elvis style, and others!:eek: :D:p:p:p

247847 Then Mike shows me some of the really great figured maple he just seems to trip over not even trying ! [drool :rolleyes:]

This is Mark Zimmerman and Mike....Mark is a member of the Apple Valley Woodturners, and it was really nice to meet him! Mark turned a really nice maple bowl with stepped sides.....beautifully done form, that I don't have a picture of, unfortunately!

This is Peter working on his ambrosia maple peppermill.....he turned a Jam chuck from walnut, and even used a skew chisel with some finesse....

That will conclude this post......I have to upload a couple of pics from my cell phone.....for the gallery, etc.

Bernie Weishapl
12-13-2012, 9:00 PM
Looks like a great time was had by all.

Roger Chandler
12-13-2012, 9:19 PM
Here are a few pics of the gallery Tony has some of his very nice work in.......Delilah's..

247852247853247854 247855

and something truly dear to Tony and his wife..........a hutch and sideboard that matches a table and eight chairs built by Tony's grandfather..........the inlay, bookmatching and other work were just high end and superior craftsmanship!

Tony gets his love of woodworking honestly! Must be in the family genes!

Harry Robinette
12-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the enjoyable pictures of a day in the life of friends with lathes. That has to have been ball even without turning.

Rick Markham
12-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Looks like great fun to me! That's an awesome shop :D

Mike Cruz
12-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Roger, it was a pleasure seeing you again. And even with limited lathe time (I did get to rough the outside of a sassafrass HF for Tony to hollow out later), Harry you are right, it is still a blast! I purposefully wasn't on the lathe much today. I had knee surgery two weeks ago, and was planning to just sit on my duff and enjoy the day as a spectator. Had some pens to complete for some people, so, I brought my stuff along to work on them if I had time. I ended up getting them prepped, but didn't turn any of them...

Roger did a great job avoiding all the beer bottles in his pictures! Not sure how he did that... Of course, the ONE he did get was in front of yours truly. :D

Mmmmmm, those were some tasty burgers! And Tony's display was quite nice. That walnut bowl/platter in the upper left hand corner was a really stunning piece! Can't believe that hasn't flown off the display...

Thanks, Tony, for everything. And thanks everyone else for another great day! See ya'll next month.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Just color me "Jealous!"

Roger Chandler
12-13-2012, 10:35 PM
......but didn't turn any of them...

Roger did a great job avoiding all the beer bottles in his pictures! Not sure how he did that... Of course, the ONE he did get was in front of yours truly. :D

Thanks, Tony, for everything. And thanks everyone else for another great day! See ya'll next month.

Uh, Mike.........I wasn't sure if it was your beer or another reason you could not seem to get your pens turned :rolleyes::D...........okay, we will just say the mini was "already occupied" ;) ........but I am almost certain your Elvis impersonation of "Blue-oh-ue-eoooh Christmas" might have the beer you drank as a contributing factor!:eek: :D

Hey, you brought it up..........I wasn't going to say a word! :D

Roger Chandler
12-13-2012, 10:37 PM
By the way..........Tony D. was the most gracious host.........he just opened his shop and home and let everyone else go at his tools, shop, and wood..........a most charitable friend, who speaks with his actions, more than words!

Mike Cruz
12-13-2012, 11:09 PM
That was light beer, Roger, it would have taken that whole carton to get to me! I am, however, a singer... I'm not saying I'm a GOOD singer, but I am one that WILL sing, and therefore, a singer of sorts. One of my many issues is that I'll get a song in my head and it will stay there for DAYS!

Anyway, the occupation of the mini lathe IS what kept me from turning pens. But that's okay. I was better off being off my knee. Plus he who occupied the lathe had some "figuring out" to do that was probably more important anyway.

And, yes, he is a gracious host, full of hostility...I mean hospitality.

Peter Elliott
12-13-2012, 11:13 PM
Roger, it was my "way" of telling Mike his time was better spent elsewhere. On a DAMP Day, he needs to bring his A game and I'm glad he finally got the hint and roughed out a blank on Tony's awesome new Robust lathe... ;)

Nice meeting you today!

Roger Chandler
12-13-2012, 11:13 PM
Mike.........whether it was all you or your "light" beverage.........I think you are a great singer............either way, you made the time enjoyable, my friend! Hope you iced down that knee when you got home....good luck with your physical therapy next time.........maybe it won't hurt so much next go 'round!

Roger Chandler
12-13-2012, 11:16 PM
Roger, it was my "way" of telling Mike his time was better spent elsewhere. On a DAMP Day, he needs to bring his A game and I'm glad he finally got the hint and roughed out a blank on Tony's awesome new Robust lathe... ;)

Nice meeting you today!

Nice meeting you as well, Peter..........that was a pretty nice peppermill you had going there.......your skew prowess was on display! Hey..........how does a fellow get a DAMP hat or a smock? Send me a PM, please?!

Mike Cruz
12-13-2012, 11:38 PM
Hey, those four pens are by request AND need to be done by Monday. And since I was supposed to be a spectator, working on the pens was perfect. Don't worry, Peter, I'm not so immursed with pens that I don't/won't turn other stuff. I just can't believe I wasn't sitting in a recliner with my leg up and on ice the whole time, popping percoset every 4 hours! At least if I had turned some pens today, something would have been accomplished on the mini...:rolleyes:

Tim Rinehart
12-14-2012, 12:09 AM
I think i enjoy the post meeting banter as much as the initial post...sounds like you guys had a great time, as usual.

Doug Herzberg
12-14-2012, 7:06 AM
Sounds like a lot of fun. Nice to put faces with names, too.

Russell Eaton
12-14-2012, 7:06 AM
Looks like a fun day to me. No pictures of blood so I would say it was a good day.

Bob Rotche
12-14-2012, 7:12 AM
Congrats on the American Beauty, Tony! He was working out the details of delivery while we were hanging out at the Virginia Woodturners Symposium this year. Looks like you guys had a great time as usual. Thanks for posting the pics, Roger! Hopefully I can join you guys one of these times as I'm not too too far away.

Roger Chandler
12-14-2012, 7:14 AM
Congrats on the American Beauty, Tony! He was working out the details of delivery while we were hanging out at the Virginia Woodturners Symposium this year. Looks like you guys had a great time as usual. Thanks for posting the pics, Roger! Hopefully I can join you guys one of these times as I'm not too too far away.

That would be great, Bob! That American Beauty is quite the machine! I think I left permanent drool stains on it! :D

charlie knighton
12-14-2012, 9:33 AM
impressive, turnings, lathe, and the group

thanks for sharing

Mike Cruz
12-14-2012, 9:34 AM
Tim, you think THIS is banter? HA! You should BE there....

Russell, no blood, but there might have been tears. :rolleyes: BTW, Russell, there was a fair amount of discussion about the StickFast CA finish...

Hope we see you some time, Bob. Tony has told us about you. Not ALL good, but enough good... :D

Hard not to drool over it, huh, Roger. And that 3 hp is the deal!

Mike Cruz
12-14-2012, 9:50 AM
Charlie, well, two out of three ain't bad...;)

Tony De Masi
12-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Well that was a heck of a Day. Baxter spent the night here and left about 0930. Returned only once for something he forgot but I think I found something else he forgot as well. Oh well I hope he doesn't need to sit down in his shop.

The day was a real blast and it's a lot of fun to host as well. Some new faces this time but the camaraderie, joking, and a few sarcastic remarks made for a great day.

Baxter I'm glad you were able to make it and decided to spend the night. The thought of a four hour drive back home after a long day of turning and discussion would not have been much fun for you. SWMBO says you are most welcome any time. BUT, next time you must bring lobsta.........

Bob, sorry you couldn't make it this time around but hopefully you will be able to join us at a later date.

A big thanks to my DAMP crew for making it another enjoyable day in the life of a turner.

Roger Chandler
12-14-2012, 2:32 PM
Surely somebody else in this Damp Wood society has some pics to post besides me! Come-on guys.......pics, we need pics and narratives to go with them........

Mike Cruz
12-14-2012, 3:46 PM
I'm trying to think about who else was taking pics, Roger. Tony got a pic of us at the end, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it'll look hauntingly like the one you posted... ;) Actually, now that I think of it, I think Tony took some pics of you turning your 3 sided bowl. But I'm not sure if he did that with your camera or his...

Baxter Smith
12-14-2012, 4:35 PM
It was great to see everyone again yesterday! It was once again an unforgettable time:rolleyes:….even if I did forget a few things when I left.
Fortunately the GPS remembered how to get me home. :)
Many thanks to Tony and his wife for their wonderful hospitality! Getting to spend time with them last evening and again this morning, was every bit as enjoyable as the time spent in the shop talking turning.
Here are a few pictures of the other “shop” in the house (for all you closet quilters:))! It seems as if there is more than one long bed beauty and talented craftsperson residing there.

Roger Chandler
12-14-2012, 4:45 PM
Awesome pics, Baxter.......that Mrs.D was such a gracious lady with her warm smile and welcoming demeanor. Tony got the better end of that bargain, 'eh Baxter! :D;) No seriously, Tony mentioned that Mrs. D was quite the quilter, and your pics just are icing on the cake.

Glad you finally got all your stuff this morning Baxter.......I had to go back and get my Trend Airshield Pro....in all the goings on there at the last, getting wood and whatnot, it got left on top of Tony's tablesaw.

It was nice to see more of your work........I hope you post some pics of that oak tall form with the black gesso inside.........what a piece and those large bowls..........super fine work Baxter!

Mike Cruz
12-14-2012, 5:10 PM
Tablesaw, he has a table saw? I didn't see a tablesaw. Oh, is that what was under the tarp and all the turning stuff?:D

charlie knighton
12-14-2012, 8:18 PM
nice quilts......nice robust......that quilting machine that slides the sewing machine the length of the quilt and is probably computer programmed is major dinerro $$$$$$$$$$, nice setup, looks like it nice to have kids gone, sewing room

Philip Duffy
12-15-2012, 4:33 AM
Hey, sounds like way too much fun to miss out on! Where and when is the next meeting???? Philip

Roger Chandler
12-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Hey, sounds like way too much fun to miss out on! Where and when is the next meeting???? Philip

Phillip.......those decisions are for the folks who are above my pay grade :D ...I don't know where the next one will be........they do move them around.

Russell Eaton
12-15-2012, 12:40 PM
Mike the extra benefits of the Stickfast is it will help with small cuts and helps stop bleeding. Don't ask how I know.

Ronald Campbell
12-15-2012, 5:11 PM
Wow that looks like a great gather and a lot of fun. Yes and some great work.
Ron

Roger Chandler
12-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Working on the roughout from the DAMP meeting....[foreground on the group pic].....this one still has some work to do on it, but I got a chance to spend a few minutes at about 11 pm last evening......then it just got so late, I thought I had better leave it until tomorrow evening or Tuesday............

The edge of this ambrosia maple has a bark inclusion on the edge that I could not turn off, and it still needs a few light passes with a freshly sharpened gouge to do the final smoothing cuts, and of course sanding and finishing......probably will do something to embellish the pedestal a little as well. My guess is this is about 10 inches wide.

Any suggestions on a good finish for this?

charlie knighton
12-16-2012, 10:29 PM
Roger, how about something clear and no gloss???? or maybe some shellac?

Roger Chandler
12-16-2012, 10:32 PM
Roger, how about something clear and no gloss???? or maybe some shellac?

About the only thing I have on hand Charlie matching your suggestion is shellac and Woodturners Finish......I also have some WOP, but it is gloss. I have some Danish oil with walnut tint to it, but I don't think it would look good on this maple.