PDA

View Full Version : Hand Plane Cabinet

Mike Scoggins
04-25-2005, 10:41 PM
I finally got around to putting together a cabinet to house my hand planes. I used oak that I "recycled" from some bookshelves I picked up very inexpensively a few years ago at an office furniture sale of my employer. I dovetailed the carcass and used plexiglass for the door panels. I borrowed heavily from some of the storage remedies I've seen from other 'Creekers (you'll know who you are when you see the pictures :D ). I wanted to enclose the cabinet to minimize the effects of the very high humidity where I live and to keep the dust out.

The plane shelf is angled at 15 degrees from the vertical. I used plastic mirror clips at the toe end of the planes to "lock" them in place to prevent the planes from inadvertently being dislodged. I used a cleat to hang the cabinet, and also anchored a strip underneath the bottom for the cabinet to rest on. It is solid, and there should be no problem supporting the weight.

This is a lot better then my "before" arrangement (see photos), which was nothing; I had no spot for them. I've picked up several planes from having exactly zero and knowing exactly zero about hand planes just 5 months ago. I've learned a lot about planes from my fellow 'Creekers and to you all I say a big "Thank you!"

However, you folks are not much help when it comes to steering clear of that slippery slope! :eek: :D

I plan to add some adjsutable dividers to the lower shelf, but thought I'd go ahead and post the pictures while I have the chance.

Mike

Mike Scoggins
04-25-2005, 10:44 PM
A few more pictures.

Mike

Jeff Pilcher
04-25-2005, 10:48 PM
That's a great looking cabinet Mike. I really like the doors and how they highlight the contents.

In the picture of the unassembled pieces, the sides look to be much narrower than the top and bottom. I guess it is an optical illusion.

Mike Scoggins
04-25-2005, 10:53 PM
Jeff,

In the picture of the unassembled pieces, the sides look to be much narrower than the top and bottom. I guess it is an optical illusion.

I never noticed the optical illusion, but you're right, it does look that way.

Mike

Jeff Pilcher
04-25-2005, 10:56 PM
How about a close up picture of the finished dovetails.

Are your dovetails hand cut?

Mike Scoggins
04-25-2005, 11:07 PM
Jeff,

Sorry, the dovetails are not hand cut (w/ sheepish grin). I made good use of my Leigh D4 though! I don't have a close-up of the dovetails, but here's the best I've got.

Maybe I can take some more pictures and post later this week.

Mike

John Miliunas
04-25-2005, 11:09 PM
Mike, very nice cabinet and a nice selection of planes you have there! I do, however, see one teeny, tiny problem with your setup: You really didn't leave yourself a whole lot of room for EXPANSION!!!:D Oh well, guess you'll just need to build a second one to match! :) Nice job.:cool:

Mark Singer
04-25-2005, 11:10 PM
Mike,

That is a great collection! A beautiful cabinet to house them. The dovetails look as though the pattern accelerates toward the edges which I like. Very nice racks....Ined one of these ...I'm just getting lazy

Mark Singer
04-25-2005, 11:11 PM
John,

Not evetbody buys a new plane each week....:)

Mike, very nice cabinet and a nice selection of planes you have there! I do, however, see one teeny, tiny problem with your setup: You really didn't leave yourself a whole lot of room for EXPANSION!!!:D Oh well, guess you'll just need to build a second one to match! :) Nice job.:cool:

Mike Scoggins
04-25-2005, 11:12 PM
John,

You're right. There's not much room for expansion. That was on purpose. If I'd made it any bigger I might just have to live in it...you know the proverbial dog house. :D

Mike

John Miliunas
04-25-2005, 11:25 PM
John,

Not evetbody buys a new plane each week....:)

Hey now, I resemble that remark! Heck, the week before last I didn't get *any* and, if I recall, the previous week was empty, too! (That's OK. I made up for it last week and today! :) ):cool:

Mark Singer
04-25-2005, 11:28 PM
John,

Did the Knight in shinig armor appear?:confused:

Hey now, I resemble that remark! Heck, the week before last I didn't get *any* and, if I recall, the previous week was empty, too! (That's OK. I made up for it last week and today! :) ):cool:

John Miliunas
04-25-2005, 11:36 PM
John,

Did the Knight in shinig armor appear?:confused:

Ahhh...You read my mind, Mark! Was just thinking about emailing you about that. Yes, it did indeed make its way to our lowly little town today! Nice piece! I did pull the blade and hone it, but was still getting some gouges in the test wood, so I eased the outside corners a bit and she's now getting there. A bit of a learning curve with this piece, but I'm getting it! Between your thread the other day on how folks adjust their woodie planes and some tips from our buddy Gene C., I'm starting to get a handle on it. I'll post a more thorough report after testing it out a bit more.:) :cool:

Brad Schmid
04-25-2005, 11:42 PM
Turned out real nice Mike. Looks like the mirror clip idea worked well too. Nice job as always.

Oh, by the way, thanks for helping me out on my own new found plane addiction ;) I started out intending to acquire 2 planes... several beyond that and I'm sitting here wondering what happened :confused: Before you know it, I'll have to get organized like you. Or... maybe you're for hire ;)

Is that doghouse a duplex :D
Brad

Mark Singer
04-25-2005, 11:43 PM
Keep the mouth very tight....a 32 at the most...it is a super plane! Congradulations! I hope you love it!
Ahhh...You read my mind, Mark! Was just thinking about emailing you about that. Yes, it did indeed make its way to our lowly little town today! Nice piece! I did pull the blade and hone it, but was still getting some gouges in the test wood, so I eased the outside corners a bit and she's now getting there. A bit of a learning curve with this piece, but I'm getting it! Between your thread the other day on how folks adjust their woodie planes and some tips from our buddy Gene C., I'm starting to get a handle on it. I'll post a more thorough report after testing it out a bit more.:) :cool:

Dan Forman
04-25-2005, 11:45 PM
Nice cabinet Mike, I see you have left yourself a few slots anyway.

Dan

Mike Scoggins
04-26-2005, 8:48 AM
Brad,

Thanks for the compliment.

Oh, by the way, thanks for helping me out on my own new found plane addiction...

Oh no, Brad -- I can't be responsible for your habit too. :rolleyes: You're scaring me. :D I tried so hard to be quite and not make too much noise (literally and figuratively) about the planes. But it looks like that was all for naught. Whispering quitely so LOML and LOYL won't hear: Oh well, enjoy the ride! ;)

Is that doghouse a duplex

No, I didn't know it was supposed to be. But please don't forget me when you make your "plane doghouse;" it just might get crowded in there otherwise. :D

Mike

Jim Becker
04-26-2005, 9:30 AM
Mike, I really like "good furniture" in a shop...and your effort definitely qualifies! That's a great cabinet! Bravo!

Marc Hills
04-26-2005, 9:39 AM
Nice job, Mike. Some really classy digs worthy of some really classy hand tools!

Mike Scoggins
04-26-2005, 9:42 AM
Jim,

Thanks! You're right; good furniture in the shop is so appealing. It just beckons you to come in and stay for a while. Sort of like the ambiance of a good restaurant.

I have very few things in this category currently in my shop, but I hope to have more in the future. My mind set has changed some in this regard over the years.

Mike

Matt Meiser
04-26-2005, 9:47 AM
That is a really nice cabinet. It would fit right in our kitchen.

Martin Shupe
04-26-2005, 12:45 PM
Very nice, Mike. I only have a couple planes, but someday I may need a cabinet like yours. It looks like we have quite a few members down in the Katy area. I grew up not far from there, Katy Freeway at Kirkwood. Went to Westchester High before they closed it. :mad:

Dennis McDonaugh
04-26-2005, 12:46 PM
Great cabinet Mike. Looks like your hand tools have a nice home.

Mike Scoggins
04-26-2005, 1:50 PM
Dan, Marc, Matt, and Dennis,

Thanks for the kind words.

Martin,

I work near where your grew up then: Katy Freeway and Hwy 6 in the energy corridor.

Unlike me, you can hand cut those dovetails when you make your cabinet! :)

Mike

Tyler Howell
04-26-2005, 2:02 PM
Is this the same guy talking about "Plane Ignorant" a few months ago:confused:

A good collection and great till to store them.
Well Done:cool:

Mike Scoggins
04-26-2005, 2:08 PM
Tyler,

Yes, indeed. I'm still ignorant about a lot of things when it comes to planes, but I'm sure having a good time learning. You learn a lot about tuning a plane by taking the old ones and fixin' 'em up (as well as getting a pretty good workout when it comes to lapping some of them), and it can be very satisfying as you know.

Thanks,
Mike

John Dingman
04-26-2005, 2:12 PM
Mike,

OUTSTANDING Cabinet! You did a fantastic job on the design and the construction. Good use of materials. Nice LV LA Jack plane you have there. ;) Keep up the good work!

John

Dave Right
04-26-2005, 5:04 PM
Mike
Very Very Very Nice! Nice selection of planes too.
I see you are saving space for that #1 when it becomes available.

Mike Scoggins
04-26-2005, 5:22 PM
John,

Nice LV LA Jack plane you have there.

I thought you might recognize that "transplant." I put it up high on its own little shelf. :)

Dave,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm not sure what I'll put there yet. Lots of options though.

Mike

Roy Wall
04-26-2005, 5:28 PM
Mike,

That cabinet does look like fine furniture!! Great job! Don't worry about the lack of enormous space............

You'll need another one for the 3 - #8's, 4 #7's, 2- #55's, 5- #3's, etc.....:cool:

You have a great plane cabinet!

Mike Scoggins
04-27-2005, 7:17 AM
Roy,

Thanks for the kind words, but I'm overdue to make something for LOML :eek: so don't plan on getting any more planes for a while.

...and Jeff... at your request, I'm posting a close-up of the dovetails (although the picture reveals a shellac line I need to remedy :o ).

Mike

Maurice Ungaro
04-27-2005, 8:57 AM
Mike,
Thanks for sharing that - now I'll be adding yet ANOTHER project to my growing list. Somehow, my bride thinks that the projects slated for the house will take precedence........how am I supposed to do those projects if my workshop isn't complete? :rolleyes: Right....like it will EVER be fully complete!

Jeff Pilcher
04-27-2005, 9:49 AM
...and Jeff... at your request, I'm posting a close-up of the dovetails

Thanks for the pic Mike!

I recently find myself very interested in DT's. I have made a couple projects with DT's using a cheap plastic template and a router. I really like the looks of DT's made with the variable pattern like yours.

Thanks again.

Tony Sade
04-27-2005, 10:42 AM
Very nice, Mike! While I used solid raised panels on the cabinet I finished recently, I sure can see the appeal of glass. As it stands now, I've got to walk clear across the shop to open the doors and gaze lovingly on my stuff. If I'd gone with glass, I could just stand at the door to the garage to do my adoring.

Nice work. It'll be full before you know it. Trust me.

Jerry Palmer
04-28-2005, 1:27 PM
Well, so much for me posting the "tool rack" I'm working on now when I get it done. No doors on mine, no room for them to swing open. And just some $2 BDF willow for wood.:o Just a basic home for some of my most used handtools. Besides, if I made something like that for the shop, LOML would have it in the house in some conspicuous location in very short order.

Great Job, and a traditional non plastic finish on it to boot. :)

Jason Tuinstra
04-30-2005, 11:25 PM
Mike, real nice job on the case!