PDA

View Full Version : My signature half back, maybe

Ron Bontz
12-13-2012, 5:17 PM
I posted this over on the net, but I thought George might appreciate this one. It is filed 10ppi, 10 degrees rake, 10 degrees fleam, and approx. 10 degrees slope
An aggressive cross cut. I have some refinement on the design to do yet and I should have done a better job on the piercing. Next time.:)
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x395/ronb19571/My%20Saws/IMG_0531.jpg
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x395/ronb19571/My%20Saws/IMG_0532.jpg
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x395/ronb19571/My%20Saws/IMG_0536.jpg

David Weaver
12-13-2012, 5:28 PM
Looks nice Ron. I like the handle work a lot.

george wilson
12-13-2012, 5:33 PM
Very neat work for sure!! A blend of traditional,art deco,and art nouveau(on the front). Nice,rich color on the handle. I like the back,too. The handle is a little Harvey Peace esq.,but with more elements.

How did you go about piercing the blade? Spring steel is a pain to even drill. I use carbide. The saw's blade is as hard as a jeweler's saw blade. If I wanted to pierce a blade,I'd drill a starting hole,and file out the shapes with my die filer set on a SLOW speed(I put a variable speed motor on it).

My only caution might be to not make the elements too thin,as they could crack if someone pinches the saw,or it gets dropped on the nose.

How are you liking that apple wood? Mine is really hard. Now I've gotten a shot in my thumb,and another epidural,I need to get the plane ready and send it.

Ron Bontz
12-13-2012, 5:55 PM
No apple wood yet. After the first of the year I suspect. For the piercing, I used a carbide drill bit and a dremel type abrasive disc. Still tedious. :)

Adam Petersen
12-13-2012, 6:08 PM
That saw is beautiful. My jaw literaly dropped when I saw it. A work of art.

Jim Matthews
12-13-2012, 6:19 PM
No apple wood yet. After the first of the year I suspect. For the piercing, I used a carbide drill bit and a dremel type abrasive disc. Still tedious. :)

It's ready - I just don't want it getting lost with all the other packages in the works.
Re: the newest saw...

If you make them this purty, they won't get put to work and that's a shame.
I think this looks a lot like the design elements of the Cincinnati Union station stonework.

I'm not sure how I feel about pierced steel, I remember when drilled cranks were the rage for racing bicycles -
before they started cracking at the thinnest sections.

Still, it's a nifty piece of work, Ron.

george wilson
12-13-2012, 6:21 PM
I should pierce a saw. I just bought probably at least $3000.00 worth of NOS machine files,all Swiss. I'll die with all of them if I don't start using them,no kidding!!

Chris Griggs
12-13-2012, 6:23 PM
My word Ron!!!!!!!!!

That's really great! You managed to create a very unique design that looks really really good - no easy task. I love how the scallops/curves on the toe sorta mirror the ones on the front of the handle. Just looking at your saw makes my gitty - REALLY - its so cool. I'm pretty speechless. Seriously, that is my favorite so far.

Michael H Greene
12-13-2012, 6:38 PM
Stunning! I like the way the scallop detail on the toe of the blade is repeated on the brass back.

John Coloccia
12-13-2012, 6:40 PM
The art deco back is brilliant.

Jeff Heath
12-13-2012, 7:45 PM
Ron

That saw is absolutely gorgeous! Great work. I love the art deco brass back, the handle, and the piercings.

I love using my half back (Wenzloff) and am sure that yours is a joy to use, as well. I reach for it over other crosscut tenon saws I own over and over.

Jeff

Mark Wyatt
12-13-2012, 8:26 PM
That is awesome. Wow.

Jacob Reverb
12-13-2012, 8:47 PM
Very nice... a real show piece!

Sean Richards
12-13-2012, 9:02 PM
Ron that is a beautiful saw - really nice proportions, nice lines, all good!

george wilson
12-13-2012, 9:13 PM
You really have made innovations in design on this saw. Makes me want to get back into making some,but other obligations are in the way for now.

Ron Bontz
12-13-2012, 9:28 PM
Please excuse the ignorance. I am not familiar with "Cincinnati Union station stonework". My knowledge of art deco is pretty minimal also. I was trying to stay with the triple loop theme when I drafted it out. It looked good to my eyes. So there you have it. So how about this one?http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x395/ronb19571/My%20Saws/IMG_0500.jpg
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x395/ronb19571/My%20Saws/IMG_0494.jpg
18" x 4" under spine, 10ppi with 8 degrees rake.

george wilson
12-13-2012, 9:48 PM
Your handle work is meticulous,but I's suggest shortening those horns!! They are bodaceious pranks,to quote Lil' Abner!!(shows my age).

I like the half back saw better. But,if it's going to be your "signature saw" I suggest leaving out the piercings unless you want to work yourself to death!! Really!! If you can get enough money with piercings,go for it. Find an old die filing machine. They are not large,or real heavy,and will be a huge help with piercing work.

Mired as I have might have been in the 18th.C.(my job!) ,I've managed to make some art deco pieces for my wife,who likes it a lot. In the FAQ section is her Art Deco fantasy table and Art Deco jewelry box that go together. Haven't tried doing it to a tool myself,but I think my NX60 block plane from LV is an Art Deco mini masterpiece.

Making something different like the half back saw requires shaking out the cobwebs for sure.

Jason Coen
12-13-2012, 9:53 PM
The art deco back is brilliant.

It really is. It reminds me of the Yates-American scrollsaw I'm restoring. It dates from 1924-26.

Philip Duffy
12-14-2012, 5:23 AM
Wow! What a beauty. Philip

Derek Cohen
12-14-2012, 6:54 AM
Hi Ron

That is just a beautiful piece of work. The piercing is unique. I like it a lot. The rear curves (which I am not generally fond of, but in this case) blend well will the front curves. The handle is really nicely shaped - but I agree with George that the horns are too long or too curved or both. Excellent!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Adam Cruea
12-14-2012, 7:05 AM
Very artsy there, Ron. :)

And I thought the BadAxe saws from Mark were beautiful. That makes the BA look almost. . .plain.

One bad thing about the saw though. . .I'd never use it. I'd be too busy studying the lines and arcs and reveling in the beauty of it! :)

On a serious note, though. . .I'm not sure I could use a saw that beautiful. I'd be way too afraid of marring it in some way. My jaw dropped when I saw that work of art. Very, very well done, Ron. :)

Carl Beckett
12-14-2012, 7:25 AM
Beautiful.

For the record - I would use it. (Im all for beautiful work, and using it at the same time - in fact, the same saw after it see's a lot of well cared for use only becomes MORE beautiful! IMHO)

Jeff Bartley
12-14-2012, 7:52 AM
Ron,
Great work!! I really like the curves on the blade of the second saw. I bet both are a joy to use! I'm all for using beautiful saws like that......Carl's right---use will only enhance it's looks!
Where do you source the materials for your saws?

george wilson
12-14-2012, 9:04 AM
I like to use beautiful tools. They inspire me to pick them up and work with them.

Dale Cruea
12-14-2012, 1:07 PM
Ron,
Interesting, very interesting.
I like it a lot.
I am not sure I could ever use it. It would be a shame to let it hang on the wall.
Nice lines.
Very interesting.

Joe A Faulkner
12-14-2012, 6:10 PM
Ron, I don't know what considerations you are pondering to decide whether or not this is worthy of being your signature half back or not. I vote yes. Great piece of craftsmanship.

Patrick McCarthy
01-04-2013, 6:58 PM
Ron, that is one of the prettiest saws I have seen. Although i am a manly type man, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Love the retro art deco and locomotive overtones. Patrick

Shawn Pixley
01-04-2013, 8:05 PM
Absolutely beautiful! You should be justifiably proud!

Jim Foster
01-04-2013, 10:57 PM
This looks too nice to hang on a wall and look at. Needs to be used. How thick is the plate?

Ron Bontz
01-05-2013, 2:01 AM
Pat, It is a approx. 19" x 0.032" plate. At 20" or 22" I would step up to 0.035" plate as in a panel saw. I do plan to make more of these. Just needed to tweak the design a bit and see how this one does on a review some one is doing for me.