PDA

View Full Version : table saw issue

fred henkin
12-13-2012, 4:24 PM
I have an older Craftsman 10" table saw. When I set one side of the blase at 90 degrees to table the other side is off a few degrees. Depending on what I am cutting, I may have to adjust the angle several times. The table itself is level and I cannot seem to figure out what is causing this. I also noticed that if I manually spin the blade it wobbles slightly. Once I turn it on there is no wobble that I can see. I would welcome any thoughts and ideas that you might have on what is causing this and how to fix it.

Harold Burrell
12-13-2012, 5:38 PM
I have an older Craftsman 10" table saw. When I set one side of the blase at 90 degrees to table the other side is off a few degrees. Depending on what I am cutting, I may have to adjust the angle several times. The table itself is level and I cannot seem to figure out what is causing this. I also noticed that if I manually spin the blade it wobbles slightly. Once I turn it on there is no wobble that I can see. I would welcome any thoughts and ideas that you might have on what is causing this and how to fix it.

OK...maybe I'm reading this wrong...but, I don't think what you are describing is possible.

You say your table is flat? And then, if I understand correctly, you get the blade to 90 on one side of the blade and not the other??? It seems to me that your square would have to be messed up.

As far as the wobble...you might want to check and see if your blade is warped or if it is somehow seated improperly on the arbor.

Ray Newman
12-13-2012, 5:46 PM
RE blade wobble: since you describe the saw as an "older" Craftsman, the first thing I would do is check the arbor bearings.

Larry Whitlow
12-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Fred, On the old craftsman saws (and the new ones as far as I know) the steel table insert extends about 1/2" to the left of the blade and almost 3" to the right side. When you place your square on the left side, you are likely reading from the cast iron table. From the right side you are likely reading from the insert. What you are seeing would happen if your insert is out of wack with the table surface. Anyway, I hope it is as simple as this.

Take care.

Larry

Lee Schierer
12-14-2012, 9:01 AM
As others have indicated, your measurement technique or instruments are off. I suggest you buy a Beall Tilt Box Angle Indicator (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=67350&cat=1,43513). 247869 I prefer it over the Wixey since it uses a standard battery. It will allow you to get your blade exactly perpendicular to your table. It will also give you precise angles when you need to cut miters. I have one and use it all the time on my Craftsman TS. It will be the best $36 you'll invest in your saw. If you haven't already checked, check your table top with a good straight edge. I found a high spot near the front left of my throat opening on my saw. I was able to file it down so it is no longer an issue for me.