PDA

View Full Version : Finally back to turning!

Steve Vaughan
12-13-2012, 9:44 AM
Finally back after an extended absence to recover from a torn tendon, and it sure feels good to turn again! Anyway, here's a few things I've been able to work on. The plates are American Chestnut from an 18" wide board a friend gave me from his collection of barn wood. The two larger plates are 10" and 11" in diameter and the smaller ones are 7" in diameter. All of them sit about 3/4" high. They're finished with Watco DO and spray lacquer, steel-wooled and waxed.
The small vase is African Mahogany and stands about 7" tall and about 3 1/2" in diameter. The flutes were handcarved, and then the whole piece was textured using the steel brush on my grinder. I actually screwed up big time on carving the flutes, so that was the reason for texturing with the wire brush. It worked! I love it when a mistake goes good! Finished with walnut stain and lacquer. C&C welcome, enjoy!

Michelle Rich
12-13-2012, 10:01 AM
2 thumbs up on the fluted vase!

Bernie Weishapl
12-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Those are beauties Steve but that fluted vase is a eye catcher. Good to see ya back turning.

Jim Burr
12-13-2012, 11:28 AM
Glad you're healed up and back on a roll Steve!! See you haven't lost your touch.

Richard Madden
12-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Good to see you back. I really like that fluted vase, and the plates look great too!

Roger Chandler
12-13-2012, 9:34 PM
I was thinking about you the other day, Steve.......wondering why we hadn't heard from you in a while........glad you are back...doesn't look like you lost any skills in the absence..........nice fluted vase and plates!