PDA

View Full Version : Latest MS update causes problems with Type1 fonts

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
12-13-2012, 9:01 AM
I wanted to jump in and let you know that there is an issue with the latest MS fixes across all versions of CorelDRAW (and Quark Xpress...and...) There is a thread on coreldraw.com about this @

http://coreldraw.com/forums/t/37077.aspx
<if the moderators let the link through here>

If you want the Coles notes version,
<<Uninstalling KB2753842 brings Draw back to normal.>>>

Thought you guys would want to know,
Tony

Dan Hintz
12-13-2012, 9:21 AM
Thanks for letting us know, Tony...

Ronald Erickson
12-13-2012, 11:49 AM
Thank you Tony. I can confirm that uninstalling the update fixes the issue.

Gordon Kircher
12-13-2012, 12:44 PM
I was up LATE NIGHT last nite on this ISSUE. Had every thing come to a crashing halt. All my Type 1 fonts in Corel where not showing up (well I thought they were showing up %$#^ white).

THANK YOU for the post.

Doug Kircher
12-13-2012, 12:46 PM
Yes, I was also in panic mode. Prime christmas shipping season and I could not engrave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I uninstalled the update and things are working again.........think this may need to be tacked to the top.

rick woodward
12-13-2012, 6:44 PM
rick woodward here. None of you know me, I have recently come back to the forum. Firstly, thank you Tony. Secondly , How do i uninstall a ms update ? My design desk top is windows xp and my new laptop is windows 8. ? Thanks in advance for any guidance, rick

Paul Phillips
12-13-2012, 6:53 PM
Rick, welcome back, to uninstall in XP go to -Start, Control Panel, Add-remove programs, Windows XP software updates, find the latest update, select it and click remove, re-start if prompted. Haven't messed with Windows 8 yet but a simple google search should turn up an answer.
Paul

Steve Clarkson
12-13-2012, 8:29 PM
Thanks for the update Tony. I also uninstalled the update and CD is back to normal. Hopefully this issue will get resolved.

Steve Busey
12-14-2012, 6:28 AM
I appreciate the heads up, Tony - saved me what could have been a hair pulling night with a looming deadline! What a great community here!

Jeff Belany
12-14-2012, 11:00 AM
This forum is the BEST!! Can't imagine the panic I would have been in when many of my fonts wouldn't work in Corel. Thanks to the guys, much smarter than me, who figured this out.

If Microsoft had a product competing with Corel I'd be wondering what they were up to.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Tim Bateson
12-14-2012, 11:46 AM
I have Win7 with the specified patch - no issues at all.

Steve Clarkson
12-14-2012, 1:37 PM
What patch Tim?

Tim Bateson
12-14-2012, 1:41 PM
Microsoft-Update on my Windows 7 x64: KB2753842 - This was suppose to be the culprit.

Steve Clarkson
12-14-2012, 1:44 PM
That's the one I deleted that was causing all the problems......did a "patch" actually come out?

Tim Bateson
12-14-2012, 1:53 PM
Not sure - I was only stating that I had the supposed "effected" version, but it didn't effect my machine. Glad too as this week has been non-stop. I love being a last minute shopper, but being on the other end is a pain.... I may start charging a Premium $ this next week.

Vicki Rivrud
12-14-2012, 2:34 PM
Hi Tim & Tony,

Thanks for the alert - it sure helped solve the grief I was experiencing!

I have WIN7 32bit and had to delete the update to cure the font problem. I wonder if it had a different affect on the 64 bit version.

Anyway, I'm seeing more and more problems with Microsoft "policing" the use of different software, files & music files. I still run some older/legacy programs & hardware and everytime Microsoft does certain "security" updates those items dissappear and have to be re-installed. TOO much planned/forced obsolescence goin' on!

Vicki

Ronald Erickson
12-14-2012, 5:09 PM
I'm running Windows 7 64-bit with CoredDRAW X6 and was experiencing the missing fonts issue until I uninstalled the KB update. Default fonts (like Arial) didn't have an issue, but other fonts did. (When you used an affected font, it would not display)

If you didn't use any affected fonts, you most likely didn't see an issue. It isn't just constrained to CorelDRAW. Even Powerpoint 2010 has the issue if you use certain Type 1 fonts in presentation mode; they just disappear.

Bill Cunningham
12-18-2012, 9:03 PM
I pulled the update, even though I don't use a lot of type1.. I probably wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't read it here..Like Tim, it's been nuts here too.. I've simply stopped accepting jobs that may require more time than usual, because I simply don't have the time to deal with them. Every one that calls with that "can you do it by Friday" question, I tell them I'm booked til the start of the new year providing we all survive the end of the world on Friday:D