PDA

View Full Version : Colorado beetle pine round 2

Eric Gourieux
12-12-2012, 7:04 PM
I previously posted the rough out of this HF, and now it's finished. The wood was provided by Doug Herzberg. Thanks, Doug!

It's 8.5" x 5". Finished with WTF. Light as a feather.

Before:

After:

Bernie Weishapl
12-12-2012, 7:20 PM
That is a great looking HF. Love that wood. Well done Eric.

Michael Stafford
12-12-2012, 7:38 PM
It is hard to believe the two are the same piece of wood. Very nicely done! I am surprised that the spalting went away during the finish turning and finishing process.

Michelle Rich
12-12-2012, 8:28 PM
the color sure did change from rough out to finished..good job.

Steve Schlumpf
12-13-2012, 7:34 AM
Nice work Eric! I have to wonder if an oil based finish would have brought out the rich colors more. Did a real good job on such a soft wood!

Eric Gourieux
12-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Steve, I was wondering that, too. Next time, I'll try an oil based finish. Wait a minute! I don't have any more of that wood. Hint. Hint. Doug?

Doug Herzberg
12-14-2012, 6:37 AM
Eric, it looks great. I wish I had sent you more of that wood. I've been experimenting with Danish oil. It yellows the unstained wood and makes the blue go mostly black, but I think I like it. I just turned some Iowa blue pine from green to finish and am very pleased. If it doesn't crack I'll try to post it soon.

I have more of the Colorado pine and now quite a lot of the Iowa stuff, which actually looks better, if I can get it sealed up before it checks. If you get out here to ski, I hope you can take some home with you. Fly Southwest and check some empty bags.