PDA

View Full Version : flexcut tool handle

Dennis Taylor
12-12-2012, 5:48 PM
Anyone help me out. I have several of the flex cut un-handled tools, and I have a couple of the quick connect handles, which I do not like. Looking for an easy "how to" to make a handle for them. I do not like the tugging and pulling to get them in and out, bleed over this issue now again! I looked at buying handles for them and leaving them in the handle, but the handle alone is the cost almost of the tool, don't understand why, but it is. Hoping someone will have a picture tail of making a handle or a template to follow, or where to buy a handle even would work at this point. I have about a dozen tools, and just can't see spending that $$$ for a handle for each, any input/help is greatly appreciated. tks. Dennis

Mark Yundt
12-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Sure, just make your own.
Use whatever wood you have available and trace the design of the handles you now have ( or design your own) . To make a slot i'd imagine a band saw or if you lack one use a thin bladed saw where the kerf is the thickness of the shaft of the tool and make a slot where the blade fits in. Now to keep it from wiggling around you can add a copper pipe connector ( maybe slice it in half as they are quite long) to make a collar around the slot to keep the blade in place. With a little effort you could even taper the handle section where the collar will fit on so you actually have to drive it in place firmly locking the blade in place.
Essentially just like some of the commonly available chisels with a collar.
Same thing only different!
If you have a lathe you can spin them, or shape them out of a board, cut them out and you can have as many handles as you like.

Marvin Hasenak
12-13-2012, 5:37 PM
I made handles using a piece of hardwood and a piece of dowel that is 1/2" longer than the tang of the chisel. First I drill the hole for the dowel, then shape the handle and finish it. Next I split the dowel on my bandsaw leaving the last 1/2" intact. Dry fit the dowel and chisel to the hole, it should be tight but not too tight. Next put the tang of the chisel in the split and apply a little epoxy to it and shove it home. I have had to use a small block of wood and a mallet to get the dowel to the bottom of the hole, just hold the block on the edge of the dowel and tap it a little.

These are palm tools, I don't use mallets on them so I don't use a ferrule on them. So far I haven't had a problem, I make my wire inlay chisels the same way and I use a mallet to drive the blade deep enough, and they haven't split yet. If I thought I needed a ferrule, I would pick up some copper pipe and make bands for the ferrules.