PDA

View Full Version : Which Power Carver?

Jeff Paxton
12-12-2012, 5:05 PM
I am looking to get a power carver to embellish my turnings. I have the NSK for detail work, but it doesn't move much wood. Any suggestions on what might be best? I was thinking about Foredom or Master Carver, but there may be others I am not aware of. Foredom RPM is 18,000, while Master Carver is around 40,000 plus. Which would be best for roughing and medium detail work. Just getting started in this area so any infor would be helpful -- Bits? Ease of Use? Dependability? Just need some basic help before purchasing one. Thanks,

Jeff

Thom Sturgill
12-12-2012, 5:42 PM
I'm kind of new at power carving too, so take it for what its worth. I was looking to take a workshop with Dixie Biggs and loked into her recommendations. She does most of her carving at 25-35000 RPM so the Foredom is too slow. I'm using an old Craftsman unit that does 35000 RPM and bought the burrs she recommends and I has worked well with them so far. Check out her site and the sites of other turner/carvers that teach and see what they recommend in the way of carvers and bits, as well as the recommendations you get here (which I will be interested in too).