PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite box

Jerry Marcantel
12-12-2012, 3:33 PM
About a month ago I signed up for the Silica Santa gift exchange in the flintknapping club I belong to. I was kicking around how to go about combining a point with one of my turnings. It took 4 boxes and 8 points to get it right... Even though my box is symetrical at the stone and wood transition, the point leaves a lot to be desired at the ears247730. The point type is a Dalton Classic, made of grey Novaculite, about 2 1/2 " long, 1" wide, and 1/4" thick. The box is Mesquite, 3 1/2" tall where hafted, 5+" od and about 5/16" thick. I really didn't measure it, but those dims sound good, and are probably accurate... Stained with Watco Medium Walnut, 3 coats lacquer..... Sent to a fellow flintknappe in Washington.247731 247732

When I finished hafting the point, I stuck in the box and shipped it without taking any pictures of the hafting with copper wire.
I'd already made up my mind as to which point was going to this guy, but I like this Pine tree point the best, but it needs to be a bit taller for this size box.247733
This point needs to go onto a box that is much narrower and deeper or elegant. 247734
C & C welcomed........ Jerry (in Tucson)

charlie knighton
12-12-2012, 7:51 PM
very nice, Jerry

those points are amazing, espically the one you sent me

Doug W Swanson
12-12-2012, 8:53 PM
Great idea by incorporating the points into the boxes. Well done!

Bernie Weishapl
12-12-2012, 10:57 PM
Really well done Jerry. Like the points.

Kathy Marshall
12-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Great job Jerry! Neat idea to incorporate a turning with a point. I'm sure your exchange partner will love it.

Michelle Rich
12-13-2012, 6:18 AM
clever use of the material..since it's the holidays, the tree is a great topper

John Keeton
12-13-2012, 6:57 AM
Jerry, the Pine Tree point is the pick of the bunch IMO - and, I think the size is about right. The point is about 1/2 the height of the box, and the proportions work. While the Dalton point is nice (as is the third one), I agree it might be better suited for another box. Nice work on wood and flint!

The urn we discussed that uses an arrowhead finial is being finished as we speak. Hopefully, I have it on hand when you visit in January! Looking forward to meeting you.

Steve Schlumpf
12-13-2012, 7:39 AM
Really cool work Jerry! Always fun to see imagination at work! Nice work on all the points also - especially the Pine Tree!