PDA

View Full Version : PC Mag Circular Saw

Bob Noles
04-25-2005, 8:54 PM
It is getting close to time to move "up" from my 10 year old Skill saw and I have been watching threads and doing reading about the PC Mag saws.

What are the pros and cons of the "left" vs "right" ? I have the EZ guide system and want to go with the one the has most advantage both in and out of the guide system.

I don't know why I have such difficulty making tool decisions lately..... must be getting old or something :eek:

Any and all advice is welcome.

Hoa Dinh
04-25-2005, 9:32 PM
If you plan to use the CS with the EZSmartGuide, get the blade-right version. I had a chance to talk to Dino and after the discussion, I sold my blade-left CS (PC743K, I think) and bought a blade-right CS (similar to a PC347K but with brake).

I'd rather use a blade-left CS for sheetgoods but as my SWMBO has repeatedly told me whenever I lose a debate against her, life is not fair :mad:

Dino Makropoulos
04-25-2005, 10:49 PM
It is getting close to time to move "up" from my 10 year old Skill saw and I have been watching threads and doing reading about the PC Mag saws.

What are the pros and cons of the "left" vs "right" ? I have the EZ glide system and want to go with the one the has most advantage both in and out of the glide system.

I don't know why I have such difficulty making tool decisions lately..... must be getting old or something :eek:

Any and all advice is welcome.

Bob.
Take a look at this link. http://www.eurekazone.com/images/gallery/lamsign/big/2004_1129Image20007.jpg
The left bladed saw have only one advantage on the rip cuts.
Of the guide rail and when cutting from right to left.
All other cuts with the left bladed saw will put you
on the wrong side of the cut.
The ez is bidirectional. And in few days we will have left bases for left bladed saws. But only for warm drives, left handed and special applications.
If you see the picture on the above link, I'm using my left hand to control and move the guide rail from the sliding fence/square.
If I was using a left bladed saw, I will cut the square.
And not only that, but my left hand will be out of use.
I will demo the whole system in VA. so we can all get a better idea about the EZ and the Dead Wood Concept. But it will not work with a left bladed saw.
I hope this helps.
YCF Dino

Ken Fitzgerald
04-25-2005, 10:54 PM
Bob.....Disregarding the EZ system for a moment. If you are right handed, the left bladed saw will allow you to see the cutline while operating the saw with your right hand. I'm right handed so I can only speculate but if you're lefthanded I'd think the right bladed saw would allow you to see the cut line while you're operating the saw with your left hand. To my knowledge that is the only difference.

Bob Noles
04-26-2005, 12:12 AM
Wow.... I knew you folks would put me back on track. Thanks Dino for filling me in and keeping me from making a bad call.

I figured the left blade model would allow a right hander to see the cut more clearly when not in the EZ system as Ken explained and it sure would make cuts easier.

After REALLY thinking about what I use the circular saw for, which is mainly ripping sheet goods to big for my TS, and that is the reason I bought the EZ Guide system for in the first place. It only makes since to go with the normal right hand blade as so clearly pointed out to me in the replies.

I knew I could count on the good folks at SMC to put me on the right path and you have.

Dino, I really love your system and it is going to get a real workout this weekend when I re-panel our camper. Thanks for a great product!

Dino Makropoulos
04-26-2005, 12:27 AM
Dino, I really love your system and it is going to get a real workout this weekend when I re-panel our camper. Thanks for a great product!

Bob.
Thanks for making woodworking better for all by supporting new ideas.
Re-panel the camper should be a breeezzze. All cuts tapered. :rolleyes:
Take some pictures for us. That can be a very nice photo gallery in our site.
But before you start cutting, make a cutting table. The material support is more important than the tools and guides. :)
Thank you.
YCF dino

Kelly C. Hanna
04-26-2005, 7:51 AM
Dino...will the new shoe for your guide system work with a PC left blader? Being a carpenter I prefer the left blade saw. This allows me to see the cutline versus looking down into the shoe for guidance. I can cut much straighter and faster on the job doing it this way. Note that I am not talking about sheet goods.

Dino Makropoulos
04-26-2005, 8:43 AM
Dino...will the new shoe for your guide system work with a PC left blader? Being a carpenter I prefer the left blade saw. This allows me to see the cutline versus looking down into the shoe for guidance. I can cut much straighter and faster on the job doing it this way. Note that I am not talking about sheet goods.

Hi Kelly.

Yes. It will work with left bladed saws but we will continue to recommend right bladed saws for the system.
With a section of guide and the "guide control unit" that is the sliding fence/square with integrated measuring system mitering /self squaring /clamping and repeatability on both sides of the blade you will have to use a right bladed saw...If you need all this benefits. :cool:
we try to prevent people from buying left bladed saws because later on they will be upset. But we get so many calls by pros and left bladed users that we
have to make it available. I think we try to educate our customers but we need to keep them as customers and friends too.
Thanks Kelly.
YC FDino

Kelly C. Hanna
04-26-2005, 9:14 AM
Thanks Dino...I'm too far into the left blade to ever give it up and I'd want all the features to be useable with the GCSS.

Brad Knabel
04-26-2005, 9:37 AM
I gotta find some coffee - and I don't even drink coffee. I came into this thread wondering why PC Magazine was reviewing circular saws...

Hoa Dinh
04-27-2005, 3:50 AM
I don't mean to steal the thread but I have a dilemma related to PC saw and the EZ system.

I had a left-blade PC743K. Upon Dino's recommendation, I sold it and bought an almost new right-blade PC447K (with brake, also per Dino's recommendation) on eBay.

Now I'm ready to attach the EZ base to the saw.

As you know, the base of the PC saw is ribbed on the upper side. This makes choosing the locations for the holes difficult. Also, the distance between the ribs is smaller than the diameter of the lock washers. This means the washers and the heads of the screws will need to be somehow balanced on top of the ribs. I looked at it for no less than an hour and still couldn't find 4 good locations to drill the holes. :confused:

Permanently attached the EZ base to the saw, you say? I have no problem with that except for the fact that I will finish putting flagstones down in the backyard this summer (I managed to do half of it before the winter). I will need to use the saw to cut flagstones (with a diamond blade of course). I suspect the EZ base, being plastic, could be damaged, or at least badly scarred if I use the saw to cut stones :( . I don't think it's fun to attach the base to the saw with tape now and then later try to detach it from the saw :mad: .

What a poor guy to do :confused: ? Your ideas?

Thanks.

Kelly C. Hanna
04-27-2005, 7:50 AM
Thisis the one design idea that PC had I don't like. That said you;d have ahard time convincing me to get rid of it. In fact, unless the new saw was left blade and a better shoe, there's no way it would happen.

You have to ask yourself what's more important....the ease of cut since you're used to left bladers, or the ease of use with the Smart Guide. For me it's an easy choice. I am going to get a 9' piece of angle iron and rig my own sled one of these days. Outside of the worm drive left bladers, there's no better saw out there for me.

Dino Makropoulos
04-27-2005, 8:08 AM
I don't mean to steal the thread but I have a dilemma related to PC saw and the EZ system.

I had a left-blade PC743K. Upon Dino's recommendation, I sold it and bought an almost new right-blade PC447K (with brake, also per Dino's recommendation) on eBay.

Now I'm ready to attach the EZ base to the saw.

As you know, the base of the PC saw is ribbed on the upper side. This makes choosing the locations for the holes difficult. Also, the distance between the ribs is smaller than the diameter of the lock washers. This means the washers and the heads of the screws will need to be somehow balanced on top of the ribs. I looked at it for no less than an hour and still couldn't find 4 good locations to drill the holes. :confused:

Permanently attached the EZ base to the saw, you say? I have no problem with that except for the fact that I will finish putting flagstones down in the backyard this summer (I managed to do half of it before the winter). I will need to use the saw to cut flagstones (with a diamond blade of course). I suspect the EX base, being plastic, could be damaged, or at least badly scarred if I use the saw to cut stones :( . I don't think it's fun to attach the base to the saw with tape now and then later try to detach it from the saw :mad: .

What a poor guy to do :confused: ? Your ideas?

Thanks.

Hoa.
Use larger fender washers. 1"-1-1/4?
Or use the tape and don't be afraid to use the Ez on the flagstone.
With or without the guide rail. The smart base is made of "strong plastic".
Even if you scarred the base is not problem. Sand it smooth again.
If you need to replace the base use Goof -off and call me to send you another one.
and send some pictures.
Good luck.
YCF Dino

Dino Makropoulos
04-27-2005, 8:58 AM
Thisis the one design idea that PC had I don't like. That said you;d have ahard time convincing me to get rid of it. In fact, unless the new saw was left blade and a better shoe, there's no way it would happen.

You have to ask yourself what's more important....the ease of cut since you're used to left bladers, or the ease of use with the Smart Guide. For me it's an easy choice. I am going to get a 9' piece of angle iron and rig my own sled one of these days. Outside of the worm drive left bladers, there's no better saw out there for me.

Kelly.
Yesterday I stop from the Bosch store to get some parts.
A homeowner (DIY) was there asking the salesmen, what is the best saw.
The salesmen point him to the Magnum 77.
You know me by now. I have to step in and educate the salesmen about the tool that he was trying to sell. And tell him that the nickname of that saw is "the deadly 77".
The manager got upset but kept quite because I'm a very good customer there.
I agree with you about staying with the left bladed saw because you have master the tool and it will be difficult and maybe awkward for you.

Even with the left base available for sale we will continue to educate the new woodworkers about the pros and the cons of right VS left.

By the way, Lowe's is starting to post the safety benefits of the right bladed saw.
Just remember this Kelly. You pay for the accident that someone may have with a table saw or any woodworking tool.
Anyone can walk to any store and buy any tool and have any accident EZ.
I'm just trying to make it EZ- NOT to have an accident.

YCF Dino

Hoa Dinh
04-28-2005, 3:24 AM
Hoa.
Use larger fender washers. 1"-1-1/4?
Or use the tape and don't be afraid to use the Ez on the flagstone.
With or without the guide rail. The smart base is made of "strong plastic".
Even if you scarred the base is not problem. Sand it smooth again.
If you need to replace the base use Goof -off and call me to send you another one.
and send some pictures.
Good luck.
YCF Dino
Hi Dino,

Your post made me think. And I found a solution :cool: : the EZ base is attached to the base of the saw with 4 flathead screws. The holes in the base of the saw are tapped to receive the screws (size 8-32).

I clamps the EZ base to the saw and from the bottom drilled 4 holes through the EZ base and the saw base. I then tapped the holes in the saw base, and enlarged and countersunk the holes in the EZ base.

The EZ base is thick enough for the countersunk heads of the screws, and the saw base is thick enough to have enough threads in the tapped holes.

Bingo - simple and tidy. :)

Photos are here (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hoa_dinh@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=/f344&.dnm=842d.jpg&.src=ph) and here (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hoa_dinh@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=/f344&.dnm=c1d9.jpg&.src=ph) and here (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hoa_dinh@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=/f344&.dnm=1eb1.jpg&.src=ph).

Dino Makropoulos
04-28-2005, 6:57 PM
Hi Dino,

Your post made me think. And I found a solution :cool: :
Bingo - simple and tidy. :)

Photos are here (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hoa_dinh@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=/f344&.dnm=842d.jpg&.src=ph) and here (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hoa_dinh@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=/f344&.dnm=c1d9.jpg&.src=ph) and here (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hoa_dinh@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=/f344&.dnm=1eb1.jpg&.src=ph).

I better send you ALL the Ez Smart stuff. And I will.
I'm sure you will find more Ez ways.
You right. Smaller size screws is the answer.
Thanks Hoa.

Greg Mann
04-28-2005, 9:43 PM

Kelly,

Being a lefty the issue is different for me, but I think it should be pointed out that when using a GCSS, it is not really necessary to see the line any more. I use the F instead of the E, and we won't go down that road, because this is one thing they share. Line up your marks and cut. You really can be looking out for other things since the guide defines the path. It may even make sense for you to use your left blade the way you always have for framing cut-offs and such and dedicate a right blade for guided cuts.

Greg

Dino Makropoulos
04-28-2005, 10:09 PM
Kelly,

Being a lefty the issue is different for me,

Greg

Greg.
From where do you measure?
Left to right or right to left?
I measure from Left to right and I use my right hand on the saw.
My left hand is moving the guide or holds the square.
And the guide stays on the keeper piece.
Do you have any problems using a right bladed saw on the guide?

edit. do you think it will be better if you use a left bladed saw?
your experience can help others with the same Right VS left debates.
Thanks.
YCF Dino

Mike Stanton
04-28-2005, 10:55 PM
Dino I have an worm drive and a left cut 6 pc saw. How much is your system? Mike

Dino Makropoulos
04-28-2005, 11:04 PM
Mike.
How do you measure?
Left to right or right to left?
Are you right or left handed?
And what you need the guide for?
Panels ,solid stock or both?
Thanks.

How much you got? :D

Kelly C. Hanna
04-29-2005, 8:37 AM
I think the best option for me right now is a long piece of angle iron. I am trying to keep costs down on the GCSS. If money were no object I know exactly which I'd chosse right now, but that's not the case. I have a buddy who works with steel a lot. I think I'll have him get me a long piece. I have 2 clamp guides for 4' and 2' cuts already.