PDA

View Full Version : Got a "new" jack plane

Cody Cantrell
12-12-2012, 2:55 PM
The story starts like this...
My Grandmother asked me to make a few walking sticks using the brass knobs from harness hames for her three son in laws. I finished the task and delivered the goods. I was not expecting anything for doing this job for her but was rewarded with a #5 jack plane she had picked up at a thrift store (isn't it nice when people think of you?) It was in pretty rough shape but I could see the potential. When I got the plane home I ran it through the type study info that I had and concluded that it was an early type 9. It had the castings of a type 9 but the lateral adjustment lever was from a type 8 so I concluded it must be from 1902-03. As it was missing the knob, it actually had the bolt broke off, I had to make a new one. My tool handle/knob/tote wood of choice is usually Osage Orange. I like the low knobs but I really like the early beaded knobs, I have tried several different profiles but I finally came up with one that I really like and will use in the future. After stripping the castings down and running them through an electrolosysis bath I painted them with black epoxy paint, I blued the lever cap and sharpened the 110 year old iron. I made a tote from osage and came up with a good solution for grain orientation. The bottom 2/3 of the tote is quarter sawn and then the grain turns 90 degrees and goes into the horn giving it more strength. The plane works very well and will probably replace my current type 16 jack plane as my go to jack. There was a #1 cast into the bed below the tote, anyone kow the reason for this? I will include pics of the walking sticks as well.

Cody Cantrell
12-12-2012, 3:36 PM
Forgot to show the grain orientation in the tote247735

Jim Koepke
12-12-2012, 3:42 PM
Nice work on the tote, knob and the walking sticks.

The plane looks great.

The early type 9 frog and base are also different from the later type 9s. The fin in the base is taller in the later type 9s and on.

The type 8 lateral lever is also a pretty good indicator.

jtk

Matthew N. Masail
12-12-2012, 5:05 PM
really nice job! it looks awsome, more so, you made a great user out of somthing other people would toss out.

Chris Griggs
12-12-2012, 6:09 PM
That is a very nice rehab. The handles look very well done!

Greg Wease
12-12-2012, 8:22 PM
I believe the molds used to cast bases had four positions. This may have been cast from position #1. Just a guess.

Cody Cantrell
12-12-2012, 8:51 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys, that sounds like a good guess Greg any body else have any ideas about the #1 cast into the bed?

Jeff Bartley
12-12-2012, 9:34 PM
Wish I had an answer for the #1 cast into the bed......but I had to chime in to say I love that Osage! That's a clever grain orientation too!