PDA

View Full Version : T10097 8" Grinder / Sharpener

Jeff Welch
12-12-2012, 2:20 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the T10097 8" Grinder / Sharpener?http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Grinder-Sharpener/T10097

Thanks,
Jeff

Thom Sturgill
12-12-2012, 2:28 PM
Bought one years ago, but never used it much as I had the wolverine rig set up on my 8" grinder and never got the jigs for it. Recently bought one of Dave's CBN wheels and would recommend saving your pennies and getting one of those instead. Of course the CBN should not be used on soft metals, while a wet grinder can be...

Chris Studley
12-12-2012, 6:13 PM
Hi Jeff,

I bought one last year. It is certainly fuctional and you really can get a sharp edge.

All the Jet and Tormek Jigs are compatable, which is great (don't waste your money on the Grizzly jigs). You will need the Diamond leveling jig (I have the Jet) as frequent Bowl gouge sharpening will wear out the middle faster than the outer.

That said...

Reshaping is very time consuming and afterward you would want to true the stone. After reshaping, sharpening is quick enough though. Flat tools like a skew can get very, very sharp.

I also find the water tray to be lacking. Since you need to remove the Stone from the water (by moving the water tray) when not in use, I find the area for the tray to sit is subpar and I find IU spill the water frequently enough. I also often leave the water in teh tray in my basement shop over the work week and when I return it is kinda gross.

If I were to do it over again... I'm not sure I'd go this route. In the end you will spend about the same $$ as a slow speed grider(SSG) w/ Wolverine (or home brew version). I believe you can get the SSG w/ the white wheels from Woodcraft cheap enough. I will likely pick up a SSG myself at some point, at least for reshaping.

There is certainly debate about what leaves a sharper edge (or how sharp is really required for turning) but Most go w/ the SSG and white wheels (or CBN etc) and are quite happy (and turn beautiful things).

Jeff Welch
12-13-2012, 8:54 AM
Thanks for the input!

Jeff

allen thunem
12-13-2012, 9:17 AM
for what it is worth.
i sold my tormek in favor of a wolverine & ssg with a cbn wheel.
results are equal. and in my case i get more consistencey on my gouge grinds
just my two cents

Jim Burr
12-13-2012, 11:30 AM
I have the 10" Grizzly with several Tormek jigs. Wouldn't trade it!!