PDA

View Full Version : LazerBond

Steve Clarkson
12-12-2012, 1:11 PM
So I just got something from JDS showing that they now offer a Cermark knockoff called LazerBond......anyone ever heard of it? I Googled it and nothing came up.

Anyone remember how Ferro was so defensive on here about protecting their patent.....did it recently expire? Because it seems like Cermark knockoffs are popping up everywhere lately.

Vicki Rivrud
12-12-2012, 1:51 PM
Hi Steve,
It's the marking solution put out by LaserSketch.

I went to the JDS site and pulled up the MSDS and its marked as owner by them.

I wonder if a patent has expired because I am getting quite a few "like" offers.

Hope that helps,
Vicki

Mark Sipes
12-12-2012, 1:52 PM
Just in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVRtXuFyI1o
\Laser bond

Sure looks like Cermark

Mike Fruciano
12-12-2012, 3:39 PM
We tested the product marketed by the LaserMGroup and the engraving color was a dark gray almost black. The material dried to a powder and the exhaust started to remove the powder when it was in the laser for a long time. This was evident when large areas were engraved and the job run time was long as the engraving color shifted from top to bottom.

There is also an issue regarding outgassing tested as these products use a different base and technology then CerMark LMM 6000. I guess this difference would also open the door about durability testing which has not been done with these new nano based products.

As for Ferro / Thermark patents I cant speak to what regard they would do to enforce the current patents. The patents I am familiar with are process patents which in brief state that a coating is applied and the laser bonds it to the surface. These patents are still in existance and they have vigorously defended them in the past.

Vicki Rivrud
12-13-2012, 9:06 AM
Hi Mike,
I hear what you are saying about the LaserMGroup product. Ed sent me some sample product to test & my results have been less than stellar. I mark many SS military dog tags & chrome motorcycle parts and had trouble with it really coming out bright black or even being consistant in coverage. I was wondering if I was seeing "powder" blowing off. So You answered that question.

Now my question to you . . . .

Have you tested the Lasersketch product that is now being offered my JDS?

I ordered a can to try but what say you?

Happy lasering,
Vicki

Mike Fruciano
12-13-2012, 11:01 PM
I have not tested the Lasersketch product or the JDS products. It is my understanding that they all private label the same product.

Your machine may not support turning off the air assist completely due to the lens carriage design but you can lower it down to a breath and that may help to keep the product from going out the exhaust.

A lot of our industrial CerMark customers coat products days or weeks in advance of engraving and this would not be possible with these new products.

Sean Weir
03-21-2013, 11:27 AM
I just saw this today, thought I would share it...

Martin Boekers
03-21-2013, 1:10 PM
Not sure about process patents, but I believe there is a way to patent an improvement on an existing patent.
This ought to prove interesting.... :)

mike klein
04-18-2013, 3:34 PM
I just found out today when placing my order at JDS that LZB100 is no longer available. Wish I had stocked up on the product the last time I purchased, I was very pleased with it.

Richard Rumancik
04-18-2013, 5:07 PM
Not sure about process patents, but I believe there is a way to patent an improvement on an existing patent. . . .

You can patent an improvement - in fact probably 95% of patents are actually an improvement on some prior patent(s) - but you can't actually use/sell/market your improvement if it requires use of the prior patent. You could sell the improvement to the other patent holder, or cross-licence, but if the other party doesn't want to negotiate, you have a patent that is effectively useless.

Dan Hintz
04-18-2013, 7:40 PM
Maybe Ferro wants to license my red Cermark, then :D