PDA

View Full Version : First sander recommendations

Greg Woloshyn
12-12-2012, 12:56 PM
I'm interested in buying my first stationary sander and looking for some advice for a good all around unit. I was considering one of the 12" Jet or Delta disc models, can these handle most tasks? There are also the combination units but I think they only offer two smaller sanding options and I'd rather not be limited. My budget is under $500 for a quality machine.

Michael Moscicki
12-12-2012, 1:18 PM
The RIDGID Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle Sander is a favorite among many. It is a benchtop sander, but it's only $199.99.

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Power-Tools-Sanders-Polishers-Spindle-Sanders/RIDGID/h_d1/R-100061671/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&productId=100061671&storeId=10051#.UMjJ84PAfng

Victor Robinson
12-12-2012, 1:22 PM
I'm interested in buying my first stationary sander and looking for some advice for a good all around unit. I was considering one of the 12" Jet or Delta disc models, can these handle most tasks? There are also the combination units but I think they only offer two smaller sanding options and I'd rather not be limited. My budget is under $500 for a quality machine.

What do you foresee as your main sanding needs? Disc, belt, edge, spindle, and drum sanders all serve very different purposes. If you want an all-around unit, you might have to go with a combo machine. Grizzly makes 12"disc/spindle and 12"disc/belt combos that are around your budget. Do you make lots of small parts that need sanding? Curved parts? Flat stuff?

Alternatively, if you want to go a little cheaper initially to assess your needs and try out 2 sanding modes, then the Ridgid oscillating spindle/belt sander is a woodworker favorite.

Paul McGaha
12-12-2012, 1:26 PM
Hi Greg,

I'd suggest a used drum sander. I have a Delta 16/32. I bought it used (from a creeker) for $500. I think that new these cost about $1000. Very versatile tool. I like mine a lot. I keep 120 grit paper in it all the time. Reduces the amount of sanding required by a random orbit sander.

Good luck with it.

PHM

Greg Woloshyn
12-12-2012, 4:26 PM
I'm actually a fairly amateur woodworker looking to outfit my shop with future proof equipment, so I won't have to buy twice. Also the reason I want to invest in quality tools.

I can see making all sorts of projects so I might lean towards the Grizzly combo machines. What exactly can I use the belt sander for that the disc will not?

Jim Andrew
12-13-2012, 7:14 PM
I think Paul gave you good advice. My 2 sanders are #1 edge sander #2 wide belt sander. I don't have a disc sander.

Bryan Cramer
12-13-2012, 10:42 PM
It depends on what you do. Here is my opinion: A gereneral purpose sander is a disk sander. For more value buy a Grizzly combo disk and spindle sander. This is by far the best value. The machine cost less shipped than two benchtop disk sander and spindle sander of lesser quality. Trust me you will never regret this Grizzly. Personaly I will not spend 200 on a piece of plastic. Get a edge sander and a drum sander if you need them. A belt sander is not my first choice, but it is handy. I use mine most in a horizontal mode. Some edge sanders convert to a horizontal sander. It all depends upon what you do/want to do.

Bruce Wrenn
12-15-2012, 9:59 PM
I have the Delta 12" disk sander. Because of what I use it for (sanding car bodies for Toys for Tots cars) , it more than serves my purposes. You can also buy the Shopsmith 12" sanding plates that will attach to an electric motor. Sometimes they pop up on E-Bay.