PDA

View Full Version : regarding gluing dense oily wood

Greg Deakins
12-11-2012, 2:26 PM
Hi, it has been a while since my last post. Recently I glued up a whole bunch of material all at once for a table base. (39 individual joints, 8 mortise and tenon, the rest half-lap) I used some stock I had laying around from previous tenants that looks like Ipe or possibly Teak? The exact species may not be as important as it is very dense and after a few days dry time I coated the piece with some home mixed finish equal parts mineral spirits, BLO, Poly. I used titebond three for the joints and they all failed. I doubt the glue could pull enough water out of the wood to work. Anyway, I want to try another product, I've been testing poly glue and a two part wood epoxy with mixed results. There is also a good amount of added oil to the wood as where the joints separated I found residual oil in them that was still wet. My plan is to saturate these pieces with spirits and attempt to draw as much oil out as possible before using a more suitable adhesive for dense woods. If anybody has any other pointers or tips to make this easier I would certainly appreciate it as I am currently doubtful of the success of this treatment. Thank you!

Paul Muhlstadt
12-11-2012, 3:06 PM

The boxes above are made with cocobola. I wiped the joints liberally with Acetone then used Titebond II. These were build 2 years ago and the joints are tight and the feet are still attached.

Paul Muhlstadt
Kankakee, IL

James Baker SD
12-11-2012, 3:27 PM
I made a table top from glued up cocobola. I ordered a special epoxy for oily tropical wood and it seems to work (I also had full length splines along the center of the glue joints).

James

Mel Fulks
12-11-2012, 3:29 PM
Yeah .Acetone or MEK not "spirits" some things , like lacquer thinner , have oily components.

Greg Deakins
12-12-2012, 9:30 AM
sounds good, thanks. I will pick some Acetone up for its quick evap. time.

Mark Blum
12-12-2012, 11:10 AM
I glued up a bunch of railing components for the deck I built out of Ipe. I wiped all joints down thoroughly with acetone and used Titebond III as the glue. Everything is holding up fine after about 8 years exposed to the elements.