PDA

View Full Version : Business card holders

Toby Bouder
12-11-2012, 9:31 AM
I wanted to make some business card holders for my displays so I searched the forum and found this http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?186245-Business-card-holder-Pix&highlight=buisness+card+holder from Mike Peace. This is my variation.
Donno wood from a pallet, walnut oil finish.
Thanks Mike.

Jim Underwood
12-11-2012, 2:17 PM
Nice. Sneaky way to advertise too. :D

Mike Cruz
12-11-2012, 3:26 PM
When you run out of business cards, that'll make a nice bench for mice!

That's pretty cool, Toby (and Mike). I might have to steal that idea (with my own little twist, of course).

Steve Doerr
12-11-2012, 4:04 PM
Nice card holder Toby. I'll have to get busy and make some for myself. I really like the spalted wood as well.
Happy turning,
Steve

Toby Bouder
12-11-2012, 4:14 PM
When you run out of business cards, that'll make a nice bench for mice!

Thanks Mike, I was thinking when putting the finish on that these are like doll house benches or something. I made twelve of then at one time and they look like little park benches all in a row.

Toby Bouder
12-11-2012, 4:18 PM
Nice card holder Toby. I'll have to get busy and make some for myself. I really like the spalted wood as well.
Happy turning,
Steve
Thanks Steve, I get my firewood from a pallet mill before they put the pallets together. I have quite a supply of interesting flat wood set aside. This was a good way to use some of it.

Steve Schlumpf
12-11-2012, 4:47 PM
Toby - looks like a nice variation on a theme! All that spalted wood should help draw attention!! Nice work!

Kathy Marshall
12-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Those look nice Toby! Looks like they would be pretty quick and easy to do. I'll have to remember those next Christmas when the tree trimmers want a bunch of little things for their clients!

Mike Peace
12-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Toby, I like your variation better than my approach of cutting a slot. Wow, some kind of pallet wood! never saw any spalted pallet wood. Great job.

Toby Bouder
12-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Those look nice Toby! Looks like they would be pretty quick and easy to do. I'll have to remember those next Christmas when the tree trimmers want a bunch of little things for their clients!
Thanks Kathy, yes they are very easy to do. I cut a disk with the band saw, then stuck it on a glue block with carpet tape (if you are careful in removing the disk you can reuse the tape a couple of times), then cut the disk in half using the table saw sled (you could use the band saw then sand on the belt sander), then I just used medium CA glue to put the parts together, quick and no clamps. For finish I used a small disposable brush to apply walnut oil.

Toby Bouder
12-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Toby, I like your variation better than my approach of cutting a slot. Wow, some kind of pallet wood! never saw any spalted pallet wood. Great job.
Thanks for the compliment and idea Mike. Yes beautiful rejects from the pallet mill. For years I got it for free. Now they charge $10 a pick up load, but they do load it on with a fork lift for free!