PDA

View Full Version : Maple HF

Dennis Ford
12-10-2012, 9:16 PM
This little hollow form is 6" diameter and just over 4" tall. The wood had nice figure but the color was pale on one side and tan on the other side, so I decided to dye it. A base coat of black dye followed by red dye on the bottom and yellow dye on the top. I overlapped the red and yellow in an attempt at a smooth transition. This piece looks different every time the viewing angle changes. Comments and critiques welcome.

Roger Chandler
12-10-2012, 9:34 PM
Very nice use of dyes! That curl in the grain pops! I like the way you left the base natural as well. While the curve is more of a rounded curve to the bottom and not as steep as one sees on many forms, this is excellent in its own right........sweet curve, very well done opening and lip and then a beautiful finish.........you have a winner here, Dennis!

Bernie Weishapl
12-10-2012, 10:08 PM
Great looking piece and I do like the way the dye really pops it.

Baxter Smith
12-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Nice curve and interesting colors Dennis. Great looking finish as well. I have been thinking about trying something similar with different color dyes at some point. What method did you use to apply and blend the dyes on this one?

Sparky Paessler
12-11-2012, 8:21 AM
Looks great! Haven't tried using dye yet. Might need to!

Kathy Marshall
12-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Very nice Dennis! Nice form and I like what you did with the dye.