PDA

View Full Version : Best Hollowing Rig

Steven Green
12-10-2012, 7:08 PM
The vortex is pulling me in deeper. What would you say is the most popular hollowing rig? My best lathe is a 220 Jet 1642 if that helps.

Mike Tilley
12-10-2012, 7:16 PM
Steven you will get a lot of different opinions on this but I have the monster on my 1642 and really like it. Haven't had a problem doing what I want to do with it.

Thom Sturgill
12-10-2012, 7:25 PM
While I can not recommend brands (my rigs are home-brew) the types rigs are for slightly different situations. The articulated arm (Monster is a popular example, though they do make captured rigs too) seems best for less deep forms, gives good control without strain and the rear captured rigs (Jamieson comes to mind) are for larger bars and deeper forms. I have not tried any of the rigs that capture at the tool rest. I have a purchased scorpion system, but do not like the arm brace, it seems to put too much strain on the shoulder. I use its bars with my other rigs, and a Jameison cutter.

I have come to agree with David Ellsworth's take - I am not out to conquer the wood with a machine, the feel for what I am doing is important. Proper handles (long) and stance takes most of the strain out of hand hollowing. It is also important to have bits that are sufficiently aggressive without being overly aggressive (read grabby).

John Keeton
12-10-2012, 7:50 PM
Steven, you really should give some thought first to the type of forms you want to do as that may impact your decision. I have both the Monster articulated and captured rigs that I use with my Jet 1642-2, and I really enjoy them. However, they serve two different purposes depending on the type of form being done.

Bernie Weishapl
12-10-2012, 10:18 PM
I agree with John. I have both the monster articulating arm and captured system. I use the captured system for bigger, deeper hollow forms. The articulating arm unit I use for smaller hollow forms. So depending what you want to do will kind of give you a idea of what you need.

Steven Green
12-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Thanks guys I like to do large bowls at the moment but I thought I'd at least start out with some smaller pieces to see how it goes. As usual the information available here is just what the doctor ordered. Maybe Santa has an articulated tool in his bag.
I've got an endless supply of soft maple around here. Hopefully that is a decent wood to start out on.
Thanks again for the assistance

Joe Meirhaeghe
12-11-2012, 7:03 AM
If you want to go with a captured type system for deep boring you can't beat the system from Advanced Lathe Tools.

John Keeton
12-11-2012, 7:17 AM
I have seen the Advanced Lathe Tools rig that Joe and Steve use on their deep forms, and for that type of hollowing it is superb. For smaller forms up to about 7-8" deep, the articulated Monster would work great. You can always get the additional pieces to use the captured bar later.

Soft maple is great wood! Usually has some nice color and figure, too. Easy to turn and nice to hollow.

Steve Schlumpf
12-11-2012, 7:23 AM
Steve - I have both of the Monster systems and used them heavily on my Jet 1642-2! I started out with the captured system and still use it for about 95% of my hollowing. I think it is because I am used to it more than the articulated... anyway, the captured excels at roughing and the articulated at finishing. There are a number of newer systems out there these days that were not available when I picked up my system a few years ago. Seeing as how NONE of the systems are cheap... check around in your local area and see if you can't get some hands-on time with someone's system before you buy something.

Also - Maple is a great wood for hollowing! Cuts great and takes color and finish exceptionally well!!

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing some hollow forms real soon!

Peter Blair
12-11-2012, 9:10 AM
Steve I have a Kobra and don't believe there is a better hollowing system on the market. Yep it is a little pricy but built like a tank and can be ordered with options to utilize just about any hollowing tool available.

Ted Calver
12-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Another vote for the Kobra. I also have the Monster articulated system and they both do the job, but as Peter said, the Kobra is built like a tank and a real pleasure to use. If price is not a consideration, you won't be sorry with the Kobra.

Kyle Iwamoto
12-11-2012, 11:00 AM
I have a Jet 1642-2 and I just picked up the Monster Articulated. It comes with a lot of stuff. The Kobra may be better, from what I have read, but it is more bucks. No system is cheap though. I think they all work and work well. I like the Monster so far, although I have not really had a ton of time with it. They had a 10% off sale, but I do not see it on the site anymore. Could not hurt to ask about it.

Currently I have a 12" Norfolk pine urn on my lathe. Norfolk is pretty soft though.

Good luck in your decision.

John King
12-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Steve - First step is to define what you want to do with hollow forms. Second step is to purchase the hollowing rig that meets YOUR needs. The "most popular hollowing rig" may not be the one that meets YOUR needs.

Sometimes it's hard to get objective advice in response to an open focus question such as yours. Everyone usually like what they have. It meets their needs. That's why they bought it. And once purchased, most people love what they have.

So, figure out what you want to do and then purchase a hollwing rig that meets YOUR needs. - John

John McCaskill
12-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Curious about the Carter system. Anybody tried that one?

Ronald Campbell
12-11-2012, 7:28 PM
John I have been using the Carter Hollowing system and wrote a review in this months Woodturning Design. I have been using the Carter Hollow Roller for more than 2 years now and have been pleased with it. My original hollower was a D handle system. I recently sold the D handle as the Hollow Roller is so easy to set up.

I have all the items that Carter offers for their system, Large bar, Swan Neck, and the various cutters including the carbides. I use the system weekly and have had zero problems with it.

My advice to you is to get with a club and ask the membership if you can try their systems. That will help you make your decision.
Ron