PDA

View Full Version : Computer Melt Down

Jack Hogoboom
04-25-2005, 4:09 PM
Sunday, my oldest was using his computer, which had been on for at least 8 hours. All of a sudden, he started to smell electrical smoke so he called me. The computer was working fine, but the smell was unmistakeable. We quickly powered the CPU down and unplugged it.

I'm hoping it's just an internal fan or something, but I'd sure appreciate any tips on likely suspects and how to go about safely troubleshooting the problem.

Sure makes me think twice about ever leaving a computer on again when I leave the house.

Jack

Jeff Sudmeier
04-25-2005, 4:16 PM
Sounds like a power supply going bad or a bad fan. The good sign is that you didn't see an abnormal errors in the computer.

Most likely it is the fan because the power supply would have affected the usage of the computer.

If it were mine, I would unplug the fans and then fire it back up. If you get smoke, turn it back off. If you don't, plug back in each fan till you do. Replace the bad fan.

Maybe the other experts will have better advice for you. I had a fan go bad on my parent's old computer. It sure did stink up the place, burnt rubber! :)

Mike Ramsey
04-25-2005, 4:17 PM
Jack, usually the culprit in this case is the power supply. In most pc's it is really easy
to replace. You could follow this link for a quick howto. http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_power.htm
Also you could just follow your nose smell each fan and power supply.
you should easily find the culprit without turning it back on.

Nick Adams
04-25-2005, 5:58 PM
been building and repairing computers for around 12 years.

Power supplies are 80% of the problems with any electrical smell/smoke.
10 percent being a fan.
other 10% being random capacitors.

Capacitors will show because they are detrimental.
Fans might and might not show depending on type of computer(speed, and true need) for the fans.
Power supply may work for long periods after having a capacitor blow depending on its use.

If you try the fan trick. I would recommend you taking the cover off the computer and VISUALLY inspect the fans when you turn the power on.

There could be 1 or 2 fans on the Power supply. Not so critical if working.
One fan on the CPU or processor. Very critical.
Video Card. 1 fan if it is newer. Again. Critical.
Northbridge chipset could have a fan on it. Critical but not always high priority.

Then you have random fans in the case. I have seen and built computers with up to 7 case fans.

On another note. If you need 7 case fans your computer needs a better case or water cooling!