PDA

View Full Version : Jet JWBS-18 Bandsaw questions

James Hicks
12-10-2012, 4:41 PM
I have found a Jet JWBS bandsaw 1 1/2 hp in good condition for $450.00. I have a few questions concerning the saw. I am considering buying and upgrading the motor to at least a 2 hp. Does this saw have cast iron wheels? To owners, would you buy again? How does the saw rate in comparision to other 18 inch bandsaws? If I could get a new motor for around $300.00 I feel it may be worth it. Thoughts???

Bruce Page
12-10-2012, 6:59 PM
James, search SMC for Jet JWBS-18 There is a lot of info.

$450 sounds like a steal!

Dan Hintz
12-11-2012, 6:23 AM
James,

Is it the older style, square frame, or the newer triangular frame? If it's the latter, that price is definitely a steal... if it's the former, the price is decent. I can't say about your particular unit, but my JWBS-183QT does have cast iron wheels.

I'll send you a PM... I have a 2HP JET motor that was intended for a lathe upgrade until I replaced the lathe with a Robust. Depending upon where you are, shipping may not be too bad.

ken carroll
12-11-2012, 5:05 PM
I always have to scratch my head when I hear of older Jet 18 frame backbones being weak. I've never experienced any issues with mine, it resaws great (ok, 10" or less but that's ok with me), it cuts tight radiuses well.

Heck, if I needed a stronger frame I have a bunch of 4x4x1/4" square tube around that I could double up the frame with but other than that one magazine test claiming that it's an issue I really don't get it.

No way I'd sell mine for $450 - go get it!

Paul Symchych
12-11-2012, 6:19 PM
I have one and like it.
Like Ken, I have no complaints with mine except for replacing one of the wheel bearings.
That article slamming the square frame gets mentioned [but never quoted] a lot but I'm still waiting for someone to actually have a weakness problem with their own square framed saw. Has anyone actually read it?

I wouldn't sell mine for $450 either.

jim sauterer
12-11-2012, 6:30 PM
i also have this saw.never had a problem.i know some complain about it.it has been good for me.just my 2 cents.

James Hicks
12-11-2012, 9:06 PM
I have only saw pictures of the saw. The person who is selling it was vague with his answers. He was unsure if the wheels were cast iron, if it was the triangle frame. The saw doesn't have a fence and I would upgrade top at least a 2 hp motor, probably a 3hp. I've kinda talked myself out of it due to doing all of that, I'm close to the price of a new saw. I was wanting a larger saw for resawing and I feel this one would need those upgrades. Thanks for your feedback. Now to decide on which Grizzly to buy. I wish I could find a coupon to help.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-11-2012, 9:11 PM
James.....a person can use a magnet to determine if the wheels are cast iron. If the guy is being vague, I'd be a little leary myself.

Curt Harms
12-12-2012, 8:18 AM
James.....a person can use a magnet to determine if the wheels are cast iron. If the guy is being vague, I'd be a little leary myself.
Me too. Doesn't even know if it has a square or triangular spine?

David Weaver
12-12-2012, 9:02 AM
There are two types with a square spine. The -18 and the -18x. The -18 has aluminum wheels and a stamped trunnion and the X has cast iron parts for those instead, probably as a response to demand from customers.

That said, I've never actually heard someone say they had a rigidity problem with the original model with aluminum bits in it.

I have the X model (the square support but cast iron parts) and my only complaint about it is that it has some trouble stabilizing the big carbide resaw blades.

Keith Avery
12-12-2012, 8:43 PM
It has cast iron wheels and other than being a little underpowered has always worked well. It is about 11.5 years old now and I just bought new tires for it.

ken carroll
12-13-2012, 12:16 PM
I think these saws went through a lot of changes. Mine has cast iron/steel wheels, but aluminum trunnions. It has different upper guides than the earlier saws too. My lateral guides are face on rather than edge on as I have also seen. I haven't seen a manual on line that accurately depicts the trunnion/wheel/guide configuration of my saw although of course I have the original manual so they do exist!

Joseph Tarantino
12-13-2012, 2:32 PM
I have found a Jet JWBS bandsaw 1 1/2 hp in good condition for $450.00. I have a few questions concerning the saw. I am considering buying and upgrading the motor to at least a 2 hp. Does this saw have cast iron wheels?

yes, mine did.

To owners, would you buy again?

never. if you gave me one for free, i;d sell it and buy almost anything else. the tool and company are seriously second rate. IMHO.

How does the saw rate in comparision to other 18 inch bandsaws?

one of the saws considered a poor cousin to most quality band saws.

If I could get a new motor for around $300.00 I feel it may be worth it. Thoughts???

an absolute waste of $300 otherwise good woodworking dollars.

for $750 to $800, wait for one of the anuual/semiannual sales at woodcraft or highland WW when the rikon 10-325 is marked down to ~$800. 13" of resaw, CI wheels and table and nary a negative comment on the web regarding it or rikon. a much better deal than a used jet, of which the jwbs-18 is one of the more negatively regarded tools. but, IMHO, if that pretty white jet paint job really appeals to you, there aren't very many better ways to waste that much money.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-13-2012, 2:48 PM
I would suggest reading all the posts in this thread to get a more accurate picture of how a Jet bandsaw might perform.

Jeff Monson
12-13-2012, 3:39 PM
I would suggest reading all the posts in this thread to get a more accurate picture of how a Jet bandsaw might perform.

I'll 2nd Kens advice, I think you will find a few happy owners of this model.

Dan Hintz
12-13-2012, 4:07 PM
Joseph... read the 4th tool line in my sig. I'm quite happy.

Joseph Tarantino
12-13-2012, 5:37 PM
dan......i'm very glad that you're happy with your jet BS. however, the OP didn't ask about a jet jwbs-18qt. i believe his question referred to what i assume to be an older, based on the model number he specified, jwbs-18 as he omitted any suffixes relating to tension release features and noted it was 1.5hp motor, the OEM motor size of the jwbs-18. that saw had a reputation for frame flexing leading to inadequate blade tensioning and related maladies. i believe the inadequate nature of the jwbs-18 as one of the lesser jet products is fairly well known. and speaking as a former owner of a jwbs-18, i am quite happy now that it is no longer part of my shop.

Dan Hintz
12-13-2012, 6:24 PM
Duly noted...

ken carroll
12-14-2012, 12:53 PM
that saw had a reputation for frame flexing leading to inadequate blade tensioning and related maladies. i believe the inadequate nature of the jwbs-18 as one of the lesser jet products is fairly well known. and speaking as a former owner of a jwbs-18, i am quite happy now that it is no longer part of my shop.

A lot of people take magazine tests to heart, and develop a dislike for a tool based solely on it.

I can tension a 3/4" blade quite adequately on mine. I can resaw 9 or 10" 1/32 thick quite ok.

You may not like the saw but I would be interested in your personal observations of the frame flex - I suspect there are none but what you have read on the internet and/or magazines.

Happens all the time......

Joseph Tarantino
12-14-2012, 2:46 PM
ken......which model do you have and how old is it? here is the one i had. 247887 . here is what the current models look like (see the link):

http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/jwbs-18qt-18-bandsaw-with-quick-tension-1-3-4hp/710750B

note the difference in the column design (square (old, mine) vs triangular (new)). so if there wasn't a problem with the old column design, jet changed to a new design just for the heck of it? and if i were better with the search function here, i believe i've seen posts here attesting to the less than satisfactory nature of the performance of my model jet BS.

i still believe the OP would be better off considering a different BS. and given my unsatisfactory personal experience with jet's technical support, IMHO, he would be better off with either grizzly or rikon.

Joseph Tarantino
12-18-2012, 10:47 AM
so james, what did you ever do about your band saw purchase?

James Hicks
12-18-2012, 8:23 PM
I ended up buying the Rikon 10-345. Woodcraft made me a good deal on it. Just unloaded in my shop today. I hope to have put together by the weekend. I know, no pictures, no saw.

Gus Dundon
12-21-2012, 2:26 PM
I ended up buying the Rikon 10-345. Woodcraft made me a good deal on it. Just unloaded in my shop today. I hope to have put together by the weekend. I know, no pictures, no saw.
How is it going?