PDA

View Full Version : My doggies won't wipe their feet

Stephen Cherry
12-10-2012, 1:29 PM
Happy Holidays everybody,

Quick request for dog owners insight. I have two pesky little beagles (one of them is sitting in my lap as I am typing), and, although I have talked to them about it, they won't wipe their feet when they come into the house. When it's raining, it makes a big mess in the kitchen. Does anybody have any ideas on how to clean off their feet before they come in?

John Coloccia
12-10-2012, 1:32 PM
Take a laser pointer and shine it at the floor mat when they come in. They'll dig at it trying to get it...instant clean feet. Be forewarned, though, that some dogs can get addicted to it and they develop this strange condition where they look for it all the time...I'm actually not kidding about that one. It happened to my dog and we had to stop playing with the laser pointer. He also started pawing at the carpets...I got to know my carpet repair guy pretty well (very happy I have all hardwood now!). Other than that, it's a great idea :)

Do take some video if you do this.

Stephen Tashiro
12-10-2012, 1:41 PM
A typical solution for members of this forum would be to add a vestibule onto your house to provide buffer between the outside entrance and the kitchen. It could be, say 20' by 20'. Directly in front of the door, you could be a recessed area in the floor covered by a metal grate to collect the large particles of debris from feet (It would work for human feet too - perhaps high heels could be a problem). Beyond the grate could be a large door mat.

However, because of the way members of this forum operate, there would questions about what materials to use for the vestibule, how to join it to the main house, whether it met zoning codes, whether the moulding should maple or cherry and by the time you get the thing built the climate in your area may have changed to be much drier.

John Coloccia
12-10-2012, 1:54 PM
A typical solution for members of this forum would be to add a vestibule onto your house to provide buffer between the outside entrance and the kitchen. It could be, say 20' by 20'. Directly in front of the door, you could be a recessed area in the floor covered by a metal grate to collect the large particles of debris from feet (It would work for human feet too - perhaps high heels could be a problem). Beyond the grate could be a large door mat.

However, because of the way members of this forum operate, there would questions about what materials to use for the vestibule, how to join it to the main house, whether it met zoning codes, whether the moulding should maple or cherry and by the time you get the thing built the climate in your area may have changed to be much drier.

As I see it you have several choices:

a) First, build a workbench. You could just use nails and screws for the rest, but if you want it to last you need to dovetail all of the framing.

b) use biscuits

c) find a redwood that was knocked down during the last storm and turn a gigantic hollow form. Make a little spindle for the top...it will double as a lightning rod

d) do you know how many dog bites beagles are responsible for every year?? How dare you let them out of your house.

Glad I could help.

Tim Boger
12-10-2012, 2:31 PM
Here ya go .....247579

Keith Westfall
12-10-2012, 6:25 PM
So you come in with wet feet and then stick them into wet water?? That's a fix?? :eek:

We just meet our little dog at the door with a towel and she waits patiently until all 4 are wiped! Cat thinks it's hilarious... :p

Steve Friedman
12-10-2012, 6:37 PM
I'm always more worried about where my dog's mouth has been than her feet. Dogs + mud = mess. That's life. If cleanliness is important, trade the dog in for a cat.

Seriously, before the dog comes inside, find a big puddle and get the dog to dunk his/her feet in the water to get rid of the mud. The wet feet won't hurt anything. Alternately, a bucket of water by the door works as well.

Steve

Shawn Pixley
12-10-2012, 8:45 PM
Towel by the door?

Biff Johnson
12-10-2012, 9:01 PM
I suffer the same problem from our bulldog, Pendleton. He simply has no manners.

We put one of those wire dog kennels near the door, as soon as he walks in we open the door and he goes into his kennel until his feet dry. It's pretty much automatic now, which is about all the training you can get out of an English bulldog! I'm pretty sure each paw holds about a cup of water.247607

Grant Wilkinson
12-10-2012, 9:03 PM
Muttluks. The other dogs may laugh at them, but they will be warm and dry, and your floor will be clean.

Lee Schierer
12-11-2012, 12:10 PM
During mud season, which occurs at least twice every year we meet our Brittany at the door with a towel. A brisk rub on each foot before he is allowed the run of the house works pretty well. If I take him for a run in the field, he gets to dry off in my shop. He learned what the towel is for and doesn't fight it. B small bucket of water to rinse the feet first helps on really muddy days.

Eduard Nemirovsky
12-11-2012, 6:01 PM
My wive just tell our dog - go to bathroom to wash your feet:D and our Akita just love it!!!
But wet towel will suffice.
Ed.

Stephen Cherry
12-12-2012, 8:57 AM
Thanks everybody for their input. I guess I'm going to send them into their cage as they come into the door. From there I can wipe off one at a time. Their usual routine is to do a complete smell scan of the kitchen area right after they come in in case any crumbs have fallen to the floor, which makes a big mess. One thing about beagles, they are always starving.

Andrew Pitonyak
12-12-2012, 9:26 AM
I place a large towel on the floor just inside the door. When the good walks in the door, I tell her to sit, so she sits on the towel. Then, I can wipe her paws and release her.