PDA

View Full Version : Cutting corian

kevin nee
12-10-2012, 12:48 PM
I have some Corian to cut and wonder which side the saw teeth should start to get the best finish. Thanks in advance, Kevin

Andrew Pitonyak
12-10-2012, 1:13 PM
I was under the impression that Festool has a saw blade specifically for "solid materials"...

The usual advice I see is to use a tooth count and to tape the joint. If you cut slightly over-size and then clean it with a router bit, that can be even better.

I assume that you are cutting a counter-top, so check the warranty to see if they have any comments on treating after a saw cut (like, do they allow it without some other method to clean the cut, or do you need to round the edges).

Mark Ashmeade
12-10-2012, 1:39 PM
+1 on the router. I made some ZCIs by cutting them to width on the TS, using a 60T 10" blade, then routed the semicircles. All very smooth.

Mike Henderson
12-10-2012, 2:00 PM
You can cut it on the table saw. Most people recommend a blade with negative rake on the teeth, and maybe 60 teeth.

Mike

Chris Rosenberger
12-10-2012, 3:26 PM
To get the best cut on solid surface material, you need a triple chip grind blade (TCG) with a zero to negitive hook..
Similar to this.

http://www.amazon.com/Oshlun-SBSS-100072-10-Inch-8-Inch-Surface/dp/B001KW00ZM/ref=as_li_wdgt_ex?&linkCode=wsw&tag=wwwnorthwinda-20

Harvey Melvin Richards
12-10-2012, 3:41 PM
My solid surface specific blade is 80 teeth TCG. I can't remember if it's a negative hook, although I think it is. You can also cut solid surface with a jigsaw. With either table saw or jigsaw, you'll want to finish with a router.

Glenn Ancona
12-11-2012, 6:57 AM
Kevin - Cut with the finished side up. Chris and Mark describe it best with a triple chip blade or router - its a no on the jig saw here. The blade or bit ( which ever one you use ) should go in a singular direction. The jig saw will cut solid surface but too rough IMO and may cause " stress risers" from the up and down motion of the that type of blade, these sometimes appear later as cracks. We have cut large radius with a band saw ( blade always going in one direction ) and trimmed up with the router.
Router gives best results by far, it also makes the biggest mess. You will want GOOD dust collection and a breather.

Ken Dolph
12-11-2012, 7:55 AM
Kevin

If you don't have a lot to cut, a triple chip blade is not necessary. A cross cut blade with 40 to 60 teeth for a 10" blade will work well. I always recommend that you cut at 30 inches per minute to get the best cut and to reduce the fine dust. regardless, finish with a router and sand to eliminate any stress risers.

I hope this helps
Ken