PDA

View Full Version : OK, I have some Henry Taylor chisels...

Harry Thornton
04-25-2005, 3:34 PM
They look brand new but they are dull as a hammer. I have the grinder and I am going to get one of those AO grinding wheels and a dressing stone. Now all I need is a lathe! But first I am going to be uncharacteristically practical and attend a couple of woodturner association meetings and get some hands on experience.

Dan Lanicek
04-25-2005, 6:24 PM
But first I am going to be uncharacteristically practical and attend a couple of woodturner association meetings and get some hands on experience.

Smart move! That is what I did and I'm very glad I did. My club is alot of fun, full of excellent turners, and I've learned alot more than I ever could on my own.

Enjoy!

Glenn Hodges
04-25-2005, 7:46 PM
Harry, ask someone at the meeting if they will help you sharpen your tools. Look at what they use, ask them any question you have about how to use the sharpening jig they use, where they bought it, etc. If you like it then you might want one like they have. If you find out the name of the equipment the person used to sharpen your tools some of the people on the Creek might know a good deal place to buy it.

RL Johnson
04-25-2005, 8:02 PM
I too joined the local woodturning club before I ever turned anything. It was the cheapest method of learning to turn. The club also has a library of books and videos that have helped me greatly. I am still checking out items from the club library. It sounds like you are already hooked :) . Once you get your lathe you will find out that is the least expensive part of woodturning :eek: .
Good Luck!

Harry Thornton
04-25-2005, 8:55 PM
check out this design:

http://www.turningtools.co.uk/widgets/grindingjig/grindjig.html

this is something I can make for a fraction of the price of a Wolverine. Pretty nice of this Brit to put this design on the web for free.