PDA

View Full Version : Walnut crib

Bob Vavricka
12-09-2012, 11:17 PM
This is the third crib I have built for grandchildren. The first was a couple of years ago and then two more in the last few months. I just finished and delivered this one. It is walnut and will convert to a full size bed when the grandson gets old enough. It will also convert to a toddler bed when he is old enough (and I build the front rail so he can crawl in by himself). The wood is walnut and was stained and then finished with Target's EM6000 waterborne lacquer. The top rail on the back and the two side rails are 1" thick bent laminations formed with a mold and vacuum bag. I turned and fluted the half posts and feet. I also made each of them a matching dresser which I will put in a seperate post later. Thanks for looking.

Bruce Page
12-09-2012, 11:47 PM
Bob, that is the most elegant crib that I have ever seen! Simply beautiful!

JohnPeter Lee
12-11-2012, 7:44 AM
Beautiful. Will the finish have any detrimental effect on a gnawing infant?

jp

Bob Vavricka
12-11-2012, 9:12 AM
Beautiful. Will the finish have any detrimental effect on a gnawing infant?

jp

JP,
From what I understand any modern cured finish is safe, however I will still encourage them to put something on the tops of the rails to "protect the finish" :) once he gets some teeth.
There are stick on Gummi Crib rail strips that protect the rails and the little one's teeth.

Jacob Muldowney
12-11-2012, 9:46 AM
Beautiful lines....very nice job!

Mike Mallaney
05-08-2013, 5:36 PM
Hi Bob I am starting my third crib build and looking through builds found yours, This is the HMMM part my Daughter has something in mind surprisingly like what you have built And she married a Vavricka..

Mark Valsi
05-08-2013, 8:17 PM
I'm impressed with your skills !

Wade Holloway
05-10-2013, 3:32 PM
Very nice work. I just finished a crib out of Red Oak that is very similar to yours in that it is a convertible also. My first crib was built for my youngest son a little over 20 years ago and now he is using that same crib for his son. On that crib I even had to make the sliding hardware for the side to go up and down. The thougtht of a convertible had not been heard of back then, boy times sure have changed. Great looking job on yours!!

Jeff Monson
05-10-2013, 5:26 PM
Beautiful job, I love the design!

Bob Vavricka
05-10-2013, 6:38 PM
Very nice work. I just finished a crib out of Red Oak that is very similar to yours in that it is a convertible also. My first crib was built for my youngest son a little over 20 years ago and now he is using that same crib for his son. On that crib I even had to make the sliding hardware for the side to go up and down. The thougtht of a convertible had not been heard of back then, boy times sure have changed. Great looking job on yours!!

Wade, the firs crib I built was 38 years ago and was a drop side crib also ( I bought the hardware) is has been used by several relatives and for my first grandson 17 years ago. You are right times have changed. The problem with a convertible crib is that it doesn't get handed down as fast. So you end up making more of them. It is nice that it will grow with them though.

Gordon Eyre
05-10-2013, 8:49 PM
Beautiful crib Bob. Your design, craftsmanship and finish are just super. A real heirloom

Michael Dunn
05-10-2013, 8:58 PM
Stunning!!!

Mike Mallaney
05-23-2013, 9:21 PM
Hey Bob what are the dimensions of this crib? I have started my version and so far the rails are 5 1/4" with a 1" offset curve, it looks too crowded / short at 34" high . Could you share your proportions?

Bob Vavricka
05-30-2013, 5:17 PM
Bill, Are you referring to the back of the crib? The part that will convert to a headboard? If so, the rail at the bottom of the slats is 6" and the top rail/backboard is 14.5" in the middle and curves to 10" at the end. Overall height is 50.5 inches including a 1" cap rail. I set the bottom rail 5.25" off the floor. The side rails (stiles) are 3 5/8" wide and 45" long not counting the 1" cap rail. Sorry for the slow reply I have been busy playing with my grandkids who came to visit last week and just now saw your post. I just have sketches that I worked out for the main dimensions. I will tell you that on the last two cribs, which includes the one I posted. I made it so I could install the slats after finishing. The first one I did I didn't do that and it made it a lot more challenging to finish. The type of finish you use may be a factor in how you decide to go. Feel free to private message me if you want additional information. That way I'll see it sooner since I have them forwarded to my e-mail account. Bob V.

Dominic Carpenter
06-03-2013, 7:38 PM
Beautiful! Absolutely love the design.

mreza Salav
06-06-2013, 2:12 PM
Beautiful indeed, very nice.
The form/shap has similarities to one I built for my daughter 3 years ago (out of Cherry).
Thanks for posting it.