PDA

View Full Version : Delta DJ20 Jointer

Dimitrios Fradelakis
12-09-2012, 7:26 PM
I am going to purchase a used Delta DJ20 Jointer next weekend and need 2 questions answered.

1 - Since I don't want to rent a small U-Haul trailer and drive 2 hours each way with a trailer in tow is the top of the jointer easy to remove from the base? I looked at a few pictures but can seem to locate the jointer mounting bolts to the base. How many bolts are there and what type? Easy to access? I have a Chevy Trailblazer so if I was to take the top apart from the base I can fit everything inside my SUV. Brought a Unisaw home along with the 52" table and legs with no problem this way.

2 - If I was to take the jointer apart from the base will it be difficult to align everything back up once home?

Thank you for your help :)

Myk Rian
12-09-2012, 8:24 PM
1. Usually only 3 bolts separate the top from the bottom.
2. No

Thomas Hotchkin
12-09-2012, 8:25 PM
Dimitrios
Four bolts hold jointer to base don't remember wrench size but it not hard, good socket set and some open end wrenches bolts come up from base on my DJ20. Don't lift jointer by in-feed and out feed tables is what I was told when I bought my DJ20. Should fit in Chevy with back seat down, if you have some plywood to slide it in on, and a friend or two to help. It is heavy. IIRC there is a very good post on Sawmill Creek on alining both tables if it needed after you move it. Tom

Bob Grier
12-09-2012, 8:43 PM
I brought a DJ-20 home a couple weeks ago. I removed the top because it was too heavy to lift into the pickup as one piece. There were 3 or 4 metric allen bolts on each side of the jointer that connect the base to the cast iron jointer. Both sides of the base needed to be removed to access the bolts. Some were easy to access and some were slow to remove and reinstall due to restricted space. I slipped the belt off the motor pulley with a screw driver. Also, the cover protecting the cutter pulley needs to be removed (2 bolts).

brian c miller
12-09-2012, 9:02 PM
Your best bet would be to review the set-up manual. You'll be doing things in reverse.

2 bolts to remove the fence
2 for the pulley cover
4 on the motor (measure distance between pulleys)
8 for the table

http://www.deltamachinery.com/downloads/manuals/jointers/37-365X/Manual-EnA06586.pdf
(http://www.deltamachinery.com/downloads/manuals/jointers/37-365X/Manual-EnA06586.pdf)
I am going to be going through the same process in a few days to move mine to the basement.

Richard Coers
12-09-2012, 9:11 PM
Good advice so far. You will also have to loosen the motor pivot to get the belt off. The base and jointer are two complete different units. No setup required since you separate them. I had a warped fence on the one I bought 20+ years ago.

Kent E. Matthew
12-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Your going to love it. I have the DJ-15 and its the nicest piece of equipment I own.

Dimitrios Fradelakis
12-12-2012, 11:32 PM
Thank you everyone for the help. Will post back once the move is done.

Dimitrios Fradelakis
12-16-2012, 4:10 PM
Got the DJ-20 home with no problem. Removed the top from the base and loaded it in to my SUV. Now the fun part: putting it all back together! Thank you everyone for the help!