PDA

View Full Version : Min-Wax stain second coat question

Bob Nieman
04-25-2005, 1:58 PM
I am rapidly finishing up what I consider to be my first project (due Friday!:eek: ) and I have a question.

I have built a memory box for my daughter out of lyptus (because the Woodcraft in Albuquerque doesn't carry QS white oak). I applied red-mahogany min-wax late last night and it turned out better than I expected, but I would like it darker if I possible. The can says to reapply a second coat 4-6 hours after the first, but due to needs to sleep and work and boy scouts I won't even be able to look at it for 24 hours:( .

Can I add a second coat at this point:confused: ?

I am intending to top coat with shellac. I don't have much time left. I have to give my wife some time to take care of the memory part of it. It will be filled with dance memorabilia, as she is a senior in high school and just finished what will probably be her last recital.

thanks (pics and a proper introduction to the Creek maybe later this week)

Jeff Sudmeier
04-25-2005, 2:54 PM
Bob,

I have recoated using minwax stain 24 hours after the first coat. I just lightly sanded between coats like you would between coats of poly. It worked great and did work to darken up the color. I actually ended up using 3 coats of stain on that project. It has been in use for only 3 months, but there is no sign of problems.

Good luck!

Jim Becker
04-25-2005, 6:42 PM
You can't rush finishes...if they don't cure properly, you're asking for trouble in subsequent finishing steps. And "IOU" is better than...bad language... ;)

Bob Nieman
04-25-2005, 11:27 PM
I have decided to live with it the way it is. For some reason my test pieces did not stain nearly as well as the actual box. I was hoping for a bit more red (red mahogany stain on some fairly red lyptus), but I can't be choosy at this point.

There is a banquet Friday that the memory box is to be displayed at. I think it will be OK (and if I change my mind I will easily be able to finish it properly afterwards). I really need to avoid the IOU if I can. Everyone else will have store-bought boxes, mine will be a little extra special (or so I hope)

This is good to know for future projects anyway. I have stain left over and like how it looks.

Bob Nieman
04-29-2005, 5:33 PM
I let the stain dry a couple days and then tried some shellac (out of a can). I couldn't resist going over areas that I had already done, plus there were lots of drips. Most of the ugly spots don't show, however, and those that do I will work on later, for now the show must go on (in 3 hours). I obviously have a lot to learn about finishing, but despite the problems, I am happy with it and, more importantly, my daughter is happy. I'm sure this will be the only memory box that was built from scratch.

My wife did a good job of filling it. There is black velvet wrapped around cardboard (from my jointer box). No glue or tape required to keep it in. I'd do a few things differently if I were to do it again, but the whole thing has been meant to be a learning experience.

I noticed that the shellac lightened the stain and brought out the pink color from the lyptus. Not what I expected or thought I wanted, but it works.

Thanks for the advice (above and a PM or two). Can't wait to start a new project (actually it is already built, needs to be sanded, glued and finished, but the finish will be a challenge, but that will be another post)

for other pics, see the Using lyptus thread in the General Woodworking Area.
http://img103.echo.cx/img103/4420/membox2nr.jpg