PDA

View Full Version : Block plane sized infill smoother.

wayne Jepson
12-09-2012, 6:27 PM
Finished up this block plane sized infill today. It is 6" x 1-3/4" with a 1-3/8" wide 3/16" thick blade bedded at 47-1/2 degrees. Infill is east indian rosewood.

Wayne
http://infillplanemaker.blogspot.ca

Leigh Betsch
12-09-2012, 10:59 PM
looks great. gotta like the over stuff.

Jack Curtis
12-09-2012, 11:26 PM
Wow, gorgeous, Wayne. I especially love that over stuffed heel.

Sean Richards
12-10-2012, 12:08 AM
Nice work Wayne. I have a very similar little smoother in the works at the moment - quite like the heel detail I might have to borrow that :)

Jim Koepke
12-10-2012, 1:00 AM
Very nice.

jtk

Chris Griggs
12-10-2012, 6:13 AM
+1 on what everyone else said. Very nice. Really like the overstuffed heal.

wayne Jepson
12-12-2012, 9:12 PM
Thanks to all for all the complements. Sean good luck on your plane.
, make sure you post pictures.

Wayne
http://infillplanemaker.blogspot.ca

george wilson
12-12-2012, 9:24 PM
Looks like you have another bunch going back there!!

I prefer to buff my rosewood or ebony infill wood,using white rouge on a clean wheel. It gives a low luster,very smooth,without seeing the pores shining in the wood.

wayne Jepson
12-12-2012, 9:55 PM
Thanks George, I will give that a try on the next one. Will have to pick up a clean wheel though.

Looks like you have another bunch going back there!!

I prefer to buff my rosewood or ebony infill wood,using white rouge on a clean wheel. It gives a low luster,very smooth,without seeing the pores shining in the wood.

Mel Fulks
12-12-2012, 10:49 PM
George, want to make sure I understand this. Do you mean the compound works as a filler in addition to polishing?

george wilson
12-13-2012, 7:58 AM
No filler,it just gives a nice,smooth surface,low luster,and does not show the pores in the wood. Plus,there is no finish to wear off and start looking worn.

If I want to fill pores,I squeeze out a puddle of 5 minute epoxy,mix it,and add a tablespoon of alcohol to thin it out. Then,I can brush it on with a cheap brush. I don't mix much at once because it starts to harden in about 10 minutes. I have been waiting about 2 hours to sand it with 220 grit garnet paper. If I wait overnight to sand a guitar,it is very hard to sand. I must warn: I don't know if they have changed the epoxy formula,but lately when I use Duro brand,it really takes 2 weeks to get thoroughly hard. Previously,I'd been able to finish over it overnight. I have made pistol grips of rosewood and just finished them with epoxy for an indestructible finish.

It might take 2 or 3 coats of thinned epoxy,sanded between,to fill the really open pores of rosewood.

The large plane David weaver just re posted in color was filled with Cuban mahogany,and just buffed,no filler,but it has a very tight grain,unlike ordinary mahoganies. I think a buffed surface of rosewood,no filler,looks just fine.