PDA

View Full Version : 6’’ Dust Port / Planer / Where to get?

richard poitras
12-09-2012, 5:02 PM
I have a Grizzly G0453Z planer and a G0490X jointer and have been installing my new dust collection system and realized that the 4’’ ports on the manufactures hoods are too small. I guess I never realized until now as I never hooked them up before. Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket manufactures of these hoods with 6’’ ports or where I could get one for each unit?

Thanks

Jim O'Dell
12-09-2012, 5:23 PM
I haven't looked at those two units real close, the G0490 a little.
On the planer, it looks like you would have to make one. I've seen articles on doing a 6" for a Delta portable, shouldn't be much different looking at how the hood set up is on the 0453.
According to the parts list on the Griz site,on the 0490, the hood screws on to the side of the cabinet. Take that off and you have a rectangular opening. Make a plywood plate that will screw on to that opening, use the old hood as a template, and cut a 6" hole for the pipe to fit in to. There would be no modification to the case and it could be put back to stock with 4 screws. My 691 saw has a removable door that the hood screws to and I cut the opening out for 6", put the pipe in and attached the blast gate to the door. Works great. 247492
A view from inside the cabinet.247493 Hope this gives you some ideas.

Mark Ashmeade
12-09-2012, 6:48 PM
I made one. Cut a piece of 1/2" plywood the same size as the stock one. Used the 4" stock one for a pattern for the bolt holes, then cut a 6" hole in the middle, with the bottom of the hole level with the bottom of the chute inside. Then cut a 3" length of 6" spiral, and caulked it in. Job done. Total cost: nothing. Used scrap materials.

richard poitras
12-09-2012, 7:00 PM
Jim /Mark thanks for the tip on the jointer. What you are proposing is so easy I didn’t even think about :eek:. I guessed in looking at the planer hood I didn’t even take much time to consider the jointer.

Any way that solves my jointer issues. Now the planer who got the next solution to my problem. :D

Jim Andrew
12-10-2012, 7:21 AM
I'm interested in hearing how folks put 6" on the planer also. Just ordered one Friday.

Mark Ashmeade
12-10-2012, 9:58 AM
I haven't bothered yet. When I upgraded my DC, the planer is quite close (~8') to the cyclone, and the 4" I found to be adequate. I should say this is a PM15S planer, not a Grizz, but it's the same basic issue. If I get a spare afternoon sometime, I was thinking of roughing out the same basic shape as the stock dust hood in plywood and adding a 6" outlet. I'm not completely sure it's worth the effort though.

Paul Murphy
12-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Like Mark I have found that my 4" port works well enough for me on my planer, and mine is 20" wide. I have sent plenty of wide panels and boards through my planer in the past 15 years, and my 2HP cyclone and 6" pipe pull the chips through the 4" port without problem.

When I first bought the planer I found plans for a 6" sheet metal hood, but never had to build it. If you have good capacity dust collection I think you'll be fine.

Rick Potter
12-10-2012, 11:47 AM
If you go to HD and look in the furnace ducting area you will find what is known as a 'top hat'. It is a flange that looks like the one on the machine in the bottom picture. It might make your project a bit easier. The ones you get at heating supply companies are much heavier duty.

Rick Potter

Erik Christensen
12-10-2012, 2:11 PM
On my griz planer I made an adapter to fit the stock hood - built a plywood form - heated a section of PVC pipe (outdoors & respirator - pvc fumes will kill you) - jammed it over the form to get it close to the shape of the stock hood and then joined the 2 with a lot of epoxy. it has run with zero issues for 3+ years.

Eric DeSilva
12-10-2012, 3:44 PM
I did something similar, but I'll hazard even easier. I followed the same initial path--plywood replacement for existing flat->4" cover, cut 6" hole in center--but then I grabbed one of these guys: http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/supporting-products/38-blast-gate-6.html and just screwed it onto the plywood. The Clearvue 6" plastic blast gates have little screws in them that can be taken out, then a new, longer screw run through. Provides an gate on the machine and an easy port that you can attach pipe too.