PDA

View Full Version : monster tool large bits and inserts

joe zarnitz
12-09-2012, 4:51 PM
does anyone use them---they seem so large and grabby----you need a pretty big opening to manuver them---tks,joe

Roger Chandler
12-09-2012, 5:44 PM
For most of my hollowing, I use the 3/16"bit and sometimes the 1/4" depends on how well the cut is going....I find clearing out the chips is important .....really often, and make sure you are cutting just a hair above the center line.......that will help eliminate the grabbiness of the tool and give you the smoothest cuts.......oh yeah, sharpen that bit every few minutes.....some woods are harder on bits than others, but a sharp bit will make a world of difference!

Fred Belknap
12-09-2012, 6:45 PM
I have hollowed through a 1.5" hole but I don't do very many forms with an opening that small. Like Roger said and don't go much over 6" off the tool rest. I fine the swan neck tool with a round "3/4" disk is great for smoothing up the inside of deep bowls and vases. It doesn't do as much as I thought it would but I find that I use it a lot.

David DeCristoforo
12-09-2012, 6:47 PM
I have found that the very best way to blow up a nice hollow form is to take that 1" round scraper or the big "teardrop", mount it on the 3/8" hexagonal bar, mount that in the angled tool holder and (assuming that you opening is large enough to accommodate it) go in and try to clean up the inside walls. Mine have long since been ground down and repurposed. Maybe I just don't understand how to use these things properly but even with the lightest touch, I find them to be, as you said "grabby". I have much better luck with smaller cutters.

Jamie Donaldson
12-09-2012, 8:31 PM
David, I know from experience that small dia, shafts like the 3/8" you mention, have WAY too much flex and create chatter, which often grabs and then blows up hollow forms. I have both 5/8" and 3/4" shafted tools for my hollowing use, and seldom need or want anything smaller for average size hollowing, and can hang the larger shafts 10~12" over the tool rest with little need for white knuckles.

James Combs
12-09-2012, 8:54 PM
Mine is the mini Monster but I use all but one of it's cutters. I don't care for the angled round on. It is my "grabby" one. I have replaced the standard 1/2"x~10-12(haven't measured it) round with a 5/8"x16" square piece of cold rolled. I have gone 7-8" with it over the tool rest with very little chatter.

Dave Mueller
12-10-2012, 3:41 PM
I don't hollow through small holes, so I might not have a meaningful answer. Anyway, I routinely hollow with my Monster rig (3/4" diameter bar) using a 1/4" bit (sometimes with the round bit holder to get to the sides) with nary a blowup, at least from the hollowing or smoothing. I smooth with a teardrop scraper with very light cuts and have never had a grab. I normally set the tool or scraper at dead center by removing the chuck and aligning with the point on my spur drive, then replace the chuck with the hollowform. As Roger mentions, sharp tools are your best friend!

Steve Schlumpf
12-11-2012, 8:05 AM
Joe - I use all the bits that came with my Monster systems... but have to admit that I do not use the real large round and teardrop scrapers often. One other thing to consider when your bit seems too grabby... is the angle you have the cutting edge ground to. The more blunt it is - the less likely it will dig in. The more the edge resembles a knife... the more you will have to use a very light touch!