PDA

View Full Version : Mortising bits

Dave Zellers
12-09-2012, 3:52 PM
I just broke my 1/4" mortising bit for my Delta bench top mortiser. The chisel is fine. Is it possible to buy just the bit and not the chisel?

Any recommendations for the best places to buy, even if I have to buy a chisel and bit set?

Dick Mahany
12-09-2012, 4:03 PM
I have had excellent results with the "Premium Japanese" chisels available from Grizzly. They are a little more expensive, but hold up very well. There are some American made bits and chisels by Fuller that are also reported to be excellent and are available separately. I have no experience with them, but perhaps others here may have.

Dave Zellers
12-09-2012, 4:10 PM
Hoo boy- those babies are expensive.

Not looking good in my searches for just buying the bit.

Dave Zellers
12-09-2012, 4:57 PM
Although if you compare them to the Lee Valley, the Grizzley ones are a steal!

Bryan Cramer
12-09-2012, 8:32 PM
I just broke my 1/4" mortising bit for my Delta bench top mortiser. The chisel is fine. Is it possible to buy just the bit and not the chisel?

Any recommendations for the best places to buy, even if I have to buy a chisel and bit set?

Me too! I also have the Delta, and I threw the original chisels away and replaced them with a set from Rockler. You can't buy just the bit. Like you I was concerend with the price, the Lee Valley were the most expensive, but the Rockler ones were identical and cheaper except thery were made in Tiwan, not Japan. I do have to sharpen them more often. They will cut so much better than ther originals. That is why I replaced the whole set, the original are junk. I think the Rockler ones were cheaper than Grizzly, I also got free shipping.

brian c miller
12-09-2012, 9:23 PM
I may have an extra drill bit laying around... I bougt one to square up pre drilled peg holes and never used it.

I'll look for it next week and would ship it to you for whatever the shipping cost is.

Bruce Wrenn
12-09-2012, 9:44 PM
Woodworker's Supply is my "go to source" for replacement bit & chisel sets.

John Piwaron
12-12-2012, 1:47 PM
Delta used to sell the drill in the center by itself. May they still do, I seem to recall Woodcraft having them. This also might be something a hardware store may have on it's shelves just gathering dust. It might be worth the effort to cruise a couple of Mom 'n Pop type places for this.

When I bought a hollow chisel from Lee Valley I asked about the drill before completing the sale. Thinking about what would happen if it broke. I was told Lee Valley could supply me with a replacement drill if needed. Perhaps you could check with them.

For me, I eventually replaced all the original cheap chinese made hollow mortise chisels I have with either the Austrian made Delta models or ones from Lee Valley.