PDA

View Full Version : need help altering pics for engraving onto glass

bryan henderson
12-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Can someone help me out, I have got this jpeg that I would like to engrave onto glass. If someone has to the time to modify these and run me thru the steps that they got there that would be greatly appreciated. I am only have Corel Draw X4 that I use to modify these pictures.

Bryan

Scott Shepherd
12-09-2012, 12:50 PM
That's going to engrave horrible on glass, in my opinion. All that solid black area is going to look bad. You're going to have a lot of work to get that ready for glass. First, I assume you plan to invert the image. When you do, the white background is going to be totally black (which is going to engrave white). That's a very large area of just engraving. Then, the solid black that's in there, like on the middle left guys jacket, is not going to engrave at all (It'll be solid white when inverted), so you'll just end up with this "see through" area that has no detail.

I'm sure you can get something out of it, but in my limited experience, that image is going to be a real bear to get to look like anything on glass. You need something with a lot more grayscale in it.

Vicki Rivrud
12-09-2012, 1:25 PM
Perhaps you might consider masking, engraving and then use black fusion paint to colorfill and you might get the desired result. Otherwise it will just be a globbed frosty looking non-discripte piece of glass.

You might want to try on acrylic first or a sacrifice piece of glass - you could also spray paint the entire back black and then engrave leaving the sired black areas.

Hope that help,
Vicki

Dee Gallo
12-09-2012, 1:42 PM
I took this image into Photoshop, made it greyscale and selected Shadow/Highlight, slid all the way to the right on both shadow and highlight. Then played with contrast and light. This gives you better detail on the dark areas. BUT - you still can't make the background black without doing a LOT of work to close up the gaps. There are too many spots where there is no info at all, so even making a black layer underneath is of no use. Dodge and burn have nothing to work from. If you have the original art, it might be possible to do it, but with this one, forget it. You have a ton of cleaning and adjusting to do.

I also had to use the clone tool to "make" the hat and hand on the lowest position guy. You could spend some time and draw a black line around every guy to form a barrier so you can fill the background with black, then add the text in white.

This is one of those examples of garbage in, garbage out.

cheers, dee

nate carman
12-10-2012, 12:20 PM
even with all the work Dee Gallo did to this picture, man its still got crazy amounts of work do to. and to put this on glass would be a pain even if it was a high quality image. like the suggestions above u can try frosting a piece of glass all over then colorfill that solid black, you'd then need to basically isolate each person in the image and send it n 4 or 5 chunks. id do this to avoid all the blemishes and blurry areas in this image, just use the poly lasso tool to highlight each person, delete the rest send it, undelete and repeat with all 4 people. also make sure the laser you want to use is able to run bitmap images, with all the grey areas you might need to do that.