PDA

View Full Version : Cypress question

Keel McDonald
04-25-2005, 11:29 AM
I am currentyly building an outdoor bench made of Cypress. I know it is an excellent outdoor wood. but my question is this. Would you still put a finish on it, and if so, what? Also, will an exterior glue hold up on Cypress. I know on many types of wood you need to clean them with acetone, but I wasn't sure about Cypress. Thanks for any help you can give.

Mark Patoka
04-25-2005, 1:41 PM
Keel,

I've made several adirondack chairs from cypress and used Elmer's polyurethane glue to make 1-1/2" thick pieces from 3/4". Haven't had any problems with it and have heard of others using Titebond 2 or 3 without any problems. I don't believe cypress has the oils in it like other woods that require cleaning with acetone first.

I used Minwax Helmsman since it was the most readily available. I didn't want the chairs turning gray like unprotected wood does. When they are always outside, there's been some mildewing/wearing along the edges that I'll need to touch up. I know there are recommendations for some marine type products that might offer better protection.

Keel McDonald
04-25-2005, 2:20 PM
Thanks Mark. The Titebond is what I used to make some 1 1/2 inch pieces. I think I'll leave the pieces natural, but thanks for the advice.