PDA

View Full Version : Bosch Colt plunge base.

Rick Potter
12-09-2012, 3:36 AM
Has anyone tried on of these yet? Amazon now has them for $99. I am wondering if they are smooth and lightly sprung, like the new little DeWalt.

Thanks,

Rick Potter

Bill Huber
12-09-2012, 8:29 AM
I guess what makes me a little mad at Bosch is the fact that I ask a rep at a woodworking show and also sent them an email asking if they were every going to come out with a plunge base for the Colt. The answer I got both times was NO, they may come out with a new small router but not a base for the Colt, so I sold mine and get the Dewalt, which I am happy with.

glenn bradley
12-09-2012, 8:58 AM
I had also pestered Bosch for years with the same answer Bill got. I grabbed the Colt base a short while back and think it is the base the Colt should have been born with. I haven't felt the DeWalt and so can't compare but, if anything I would say the Colt base is too lightly sprung. It does return but, it certainly doesn't push you out of the way to get there ;). No forearm stress from a death-grip. Very smooth, excellent depth control and stepper (depth control was always the Colt's weak spot). I had gotten some Pat Warner bases for the original VS Colt and they fit the plunge as well so now I have PC template collar capability as well. Yay.

Chris Rosenberger
12-09-2012, 9:16 AM
Thanks Rick for reminding me about the Bosch & Dewalt plunge bases for compact routers. I have not seen either one. I have a Bosch Colt Router, but I did see that the complete Dewalt 611 kit is only 150 at Amazon.com. The regular price is $175 -$25 discount

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWP611PK-Torque-Variable-Compact/dp/B0049ZFUK2/ref=as_li_wdgt_ex?&linkCode=wsw&tag=wwwnorthwinda-20

Metod Alif
12-09-2012, 10:41 AM
The base lightly sprung?
A dab of oil could make noticeable difference.:)
Best wishes,
Metod

Jamie Buxton
12-09-2012, 10:46 AM
I had also pestered Bosch for years with the same answer Bill got. I grabbed the Colt base a short while back and think it is the base the Colt should have been born with. I haven't felt the DeWalt and so can't compare but, if anything I would say the Colt base is too lightly sprung. It does return but, it certainly doesn't push you out of the way to get there ;). No forearm stress from a death-grip. Very smooth, excellent depth control and stepper (depth control was always the Colt's weak spot). I had gotten some Pat Warner bases for the original VS Colt and they fit the plunge as well so now I have PC template collar capability as well. Yay.

Where did you buy your plunge base? Amazon lists it as "in stock" from CPO Outlets, but cautions that something is wrong with the listing. CPO Outlets itself doesn't seem to have it. Other tool sites I checked a few weeks ago didn't have it in stock.

Mike Goetzke
12-09-2012, 10:56 AM
I guess what makes me a little mad at Bosch is the fact that I ask a rep at a woodworking show and also sent them an email asking if they were every going to come out with a plunge base for the Colt. The answer I got both times was NO, they may come out with a new small router but not a base for the Colt, so I sold mine and get the Dewalt, which I am happy with.

+1 for me too. I liked my Colt but with no plunge base I picked up the DeWalt 611 with both bases. I like the DeWalt better than the Colt.

glenn bradley
12-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Where did you buy your plunge base? Amazon lists it as "in stock" from CPO Outlets, but cautions that something is wrong with the listing. CPO Outlets itself doesn't seem to have it. Other tool sites I checked a few weeks ago didn't have it in stock.

I also found it for $99 at several locations that didn't have it ;-) Ace Tool (https://www.acetoolonline.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=BOS-PR011) had it for $95 and sent it right out.

John Coloccia
12-09-2012, 11:14 AM
+1 for me too. I liked my Colt but with no plunge base I picked up the DeWalt 611 with both bases. I like the DeWalt better than the Colt.

Ditto. For the price of the Colt base, you can just sell the Colt and buy the Dewalt, which is a much better router all around IMHO (and I do own both). The Bosch was very nice when there was NOTHING around like it, but they were late to introduce the plunge base, they still haven't corrected the problems in the fixed base, and they stubbornly refuse to cut their bases to allow for standard bushings. FAIL, FAIL, FAIL.

Mark Ashmeade
12-09-2012, 12:11 PM
...and another thing...

The Colt doesn't have the LED lighting, which is VERY useful. I was in the market for a compact/trim router a couple months back. All my cordless tools are Bosch, so I had hoped to get a Colt. However, the plunge base had just been announced, and adding that to the cost of the Colt itself pushed it much higher, and I'd still have no LEDs and no DC. My preference was therefore the DW611, the RIDGID, and then the Bosch. I'm very happy with the DW.

George Bokros
12-09-2012, 3:17 PM
Thanks Rick for reminding me about the Bosch & Dewalt plunge bases for compact routers. I have not seen either one. I have a Bosch Colt Router, but I did see that the complete Dewalt 611 kit is only 150 at Amazon.com. The regular price is $175 -$25 discount

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWP611PK-Torque-Variable-Compact/dp/B0049ZFUK2/ref=as_li_wdgt_ex?&linkCode=wsw&tag=wwwnorthwinda-20

The link shows the price at $175. A couple weeks ago it was $150 and when I finally made up my mind it was back to $175 like it is now.

Mike Henderson
12-09-2012, 4:41 PM
The link shows the price at $175. A couple weeks ago it was $150 and when I finally made up my mind it was back to $175 like it is now.
Look closely at the listing. It says that there a "special offer" of $25 off on any DeWalt purchase over $100, so your net cost is $150.

Mike

Mark Ashmeade
12-09-2012, 6:49 PM
In October, they were giving away a corded drill with every one bought. Seems they are promoting the 611 quite a bit.

Chris Rosenberger
12-09-2012, 7:24 PM
Look closely at the listing. It says that there a "special offer" of $25 off on any DeWalt purchase over $100, so your net cost is $150.

Mike

The discount does not show until you go to check out.

Bruce Wrenn
12-09-2012, 9:57 PM
Unfortunately in a big company like Bosch, many products compete for the same R&D dollars. Last summer at IWF, I talked with product engineer in charge of Colt plunge base, and this was the case. Plunge base has been in catalog since first of the year, but not available until August, and later till October.