PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a mentor

Robert Edington
12-08-2012, 9:49 PM
I'm new to the forum. I live in Brenham Texas. I've been thinking about buying a laser for 15 years. I'd like to find a mentor who could help me make a decision and help me figure out what I need. Any Texans out there?
RP Edington
Brenham, Tx=

Gary Hair
12-08-2012, 10:16 PM
I would highly recommend you contact Engraving Concepts in Arlington. They sell, service, support and train - everything lasers! If I were in their territory I would buy from them in a heartbeat. I know you asked for a mentor, but they will help you get the right equipment and make sure you are successful using it - can't beat that combo!

Gary

Rodne Gold
12-08-2012, 10:53 PM
You need to formulate a business plan and define your target markets if you want to make this a profit based venture if that is your goal.
This forum is like a giant mentor..use it..you will get lots of points of view on start up, what equipment to buy , whether its a good idea or not , what pitfalls in terms of your markets or plans and so on.....

Doug Novic
12-09-2012, 8:01 AM
You need to formulate a business plan and define your target markets if you want to make this a profit based venture if that is your goal.
This forum is like a giant mentor..use it..you will get lots of points of view on start up, what equipment to buy , whether its a good idea or not , what pitfalls in terms of your markets or plans and so on.....

I completely agree with Rodney and would like to add one thing that has served me well. Keep an open mind. Many start their business with products/goals in mind. This may change. You never know where the business will lead you. We started with very specific items and services. The business led us on a few different paths. We listened to our customers and what they were looking for and needed. Explored those avenues and branched out. Keep an open mind.

Keith Outten
12-09-2012, 8:09 AM
Robert,

You have a chance to win a brand new Trotec Speedy 100 60 watt machine in just a few weeks right here at The Creek.

Robert Edington
12-09-2012, 9:11 AM
Im not starting a business. I just want to get one and make enough plaques for the Fire Department and Blue Bell Ice Cream to try to pay off the machine. I'm going to retire in two years. I'm through with working! I guess I'm looking for a close by friend
RP

Martin Boekers
12-09-2012, 3:18 PM
If your close make a trip to Engraving Concepts. Roy Brewer from there has many post on YouTube and is highly reguarded.

Rodne Gold
12-10-2012, 1:04 AM
If you gonna buy a laser to tinker with and you fairly handy , bearing in mind money might be tight , I would look at chinese models.(assuming you not violently anti "furriner" when it comes to purchasing)
I think you will get more mentoring here , especially technical , than anywhere else. It is nice to have a knowledgeable pal close at hand , but finding one might prove difficult , those in business would rather devote the time to increasing their business and might view you as "competition" , dealers have agendas that are geared to selling and would give support , but it's not going to be comprehensive mentoring.

Michael Kowalczyk
12-10-2012, 7:57 PM
If you come down to Houston, let me know. I might be able to help.

Thanks and ....

AL Ursich
12-10-2012, 8:10 PM
+2 on Engraving Concepts.... A Good Team and in your area...

It would be worth looking at the Tax Side of actually starting a small business legally. You could claim the laser and deduct it over 5 or 7 years plus other Tax benefits. Watch Zoning Laws too.

Also read up on Copyright Laws and the use of Logos. Many think that the Laser is a great way to print money as in making stuff with Logos on it... Harley, VFW, Boy Scouts, and many others watch the net for pictures posted and could generate a Cease and Desist Letter...

A Mentor is GOOD....

Welcome and Good Luck,

AL

greg lindsey
12-12-2012, 1:52 AM
Hi Robert, I'm down in Houston as well, although lived in Brenham for a few years (went to Blinn) and stayed a few years afterwards. If I can give ya some help just send me a PM with your contact info or I can send you mine. I still get up that way every so often

Greg